Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boss gave me a Linksys wired router to go with my home office for when I begin work on Wednesday. However after hooking it up to my laptop computer (Windows Vista), I cannot connect it to the Internet. I restarted the computer, restarted the router and restarted the modem, as specified in the user instructions but still no connection. Also connecting to the router IP gives me no connection, which is odd. However if I hook up straight from the modem to the laptop, connection is there and clean as a whistle.

Cox High Speed Internet (Cable)
Motorola SB 5105 Surfboard Cable Modem
LinkSys EtherFast Cable/DSL VPN Router Model #BEFVP41
Wired Router
Windows Vista HP Pavilion dv9000 Series
Mozilla Firefox

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Modem to WAN port on Router. Set router to use a Dynamic Address. Connect using a wired conenction to verify the connection is good and then start using the wireless capability if needed.

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
Have you tried doing a "hard" reset of the router?

This is a tricky routine which requires you to unplug the power to the router -- use a paper clip or other straight pin to hold down the recessed reset button under the router for about 30 seconds ...

... and then plug the power back in while still holding the reset button down and then, at last release it.

Also you might troll through the Linksys site for general troubleshooting tips >>

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin...p.php?p_faqid=5466&p_sid=mmET*sZi&p_lva=5469#

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Beat me to it.....if a hard reset does not work, then you may have a bad device. Also, it would help to see an output from an ipconfig /all.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Modem to WAN port on Router. Set router to use a Dynamic Address. Connect using a wired conenction to verify the connection is good and then start using the wireless capability if needed.
Have you tried doing a "hard" reset of the router?

This is a tricky routine which requires you to unplug the power to the router -- use a paper clip or other straight pin to hold down the recessed reset button under the router for about 30 seconds ...

... and then plug the power back in while still holding the reset button down and then, at last release it.

Also you might troll through the Linksys site for general troubleshooting tips >>

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin...p.php?p_faqid=5466&p_sid=mmET*sZi&p_lva=5469#
I don't see any button on the bottom of my router, just the reset button in the back of my router which can be pressed with my finger. Would that be the one you're referring to?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Yes, hold it in for 10 seconds or so and then rlease it. The router will now be back at factory settings. Although I did think that button was recessed to prevent it from being accidently reset.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
C:\Users\XYZ>ping 192.168.1.1

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, hold it in for 10 seconds or so and then rlease it. The router will now be back at factory settings. Although I did think that button was recessed to prevent it from being accidently reset.
Did it, and I can finally get to the router IP, but nothing else. No other web sites, nothing.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Post reset:

C:\Users\XYZ>ping 192.168.1.1

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=150
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=150
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=150
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=150

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 3ms, Average = 2ms

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
Yeah I've found it sometimes takes a couple of restarts or attempts to open browsers before the NIC or the router pulls up the right addresses after that.

Glad all is well. Feel free to mark the thread "Solved".

By the way, for security purposes, you should enter a password on the router, since anything previous was reset.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.