Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

Been having some rather strange issues with right-clicking. If I right click any executable file, my explorer.exe is killed (statusbar goes away, then appears again as explorer is reloaded) and started up again. I've been trying to figure out what could be causing it, but it's so hard to even search for a solution.

Hope you're able to help me progress further, thank you.

Regards,

EDIT: This only happends when right-clicking executables. Folders and whatnot is fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi.

No go.

I've checked the registry acordingly to the site, and everything is as written there (Default). I am able to open executables tho, but in these cases explorer crashes - with no error dialog - and opens again:

Right clicking a .exe file -> crash
Left clicking exe file and hitting SHIFT+DELETE -> crash

After clicking..

Couple of seconds after, everything's back to normal.

:(

EDIT: I just noticed this is happening on right-click, shift+delete on desktop items aswell. Items that are linked to the executables somehow.

·
Banned
11,097 Posts
Have you tried it in Safemode and see if the same thing happens.

By tapping F8 about every second on restart and then using the arrow keys and select Safemode and press Enter

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
valvet said:
I'll go ahead and try safe-mode, one minute.
Right.

In Safe-mode right-clicking workes fine, on both my own account and Administrator. On normal boot both accounts acts the same on right-click, eg. crashing explorer. Hmm.

·
Gone but never forgotten
8,684 Posts
Right clicking is invoking Context Handers. Have a look at this site and see if it helps. My guess is that you have installed something that has hooked onto the context menu, and now either it has been uninstalled or is "broken".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WhitPhil said:
Right clicking is invoking Context Handers. Have a look at this site and see if it helps. My guess is that you have installed something that has hooked onto the context menu, and now either it has been uninstalled or is "broken".
That was a great site. I did know that it was contextmenu related, but where?! That fine application ShellExView did the trick. It seems that the:

CmdLineContextMenu Class
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CmdLineExt03.dll
Was the cause of it. Disabling that, did the trick.

Some information about the file here: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1701332.php

The game he mentions (Diablo II), was what I had just installed.

Thank you for the quick replies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.