Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Replacing XP OS for Windows 7 OS in a Dell Mini 10 Netbook

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
I have a brand new Dell Mini 10 Netbook which came with Windows XP Home Edition, Intel Atom Processor Z520 - 1.33GHz/ 533MHz, FSB512K Cache, 160GB Hard Drive , 1GB Ram DDR2 and would like to know the following:
1. Can I remove or overwrite the XP OS with an appropriate Windows 7 OS and which one. Windows 7 Starter 32 bit or , Windows 7 Home Premium or Pro 32bit which will also allow me to use Adobe and Autocad programs I have presently installed in this netbook together with others.
2. When installing the Windows 7 OS, will this overwrite XP and retain all other programs installed or will this wipe out everything in the hard drive for which all other installed programs to include the drivers would have to be re- installed .
3. In the case of having to re- install all programs and drivers after installing a Windows 7 OS., which would be the sequence of re-installation of all other programs to include the drivers.
Your assistance will be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
1. If by "appropriate" you mean a genuine Windows you probably will not be able to find one. Home Premium is the best value unless you know you need a feature it does not include.

2. Pretty sure you cannot do an "upgrade" install; thus you will "retain" no programs installed in XP.

3. Install the chipset drivers first, then all other needed ones, and then get all important Windows updates.

What have you done to determine that this PC will support Windows 7?

Are you going to make sure that you can "get back to" XP if Windows 7 does not work satisfactorily?

#3 ·
I have a brand new Dell Mini 10 Netbook which came with Windows XP Home Edition, Intel Atom Processor Z520 - 1.33GHz/ 533MHz, FSB512K Cache, 160GB Hard Drive , 1GB Ram DDR2
What's the "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on that Dell Inspiron Mini 10 netbook?

Since it doesn't have a built-in disc drive, how do you plan to install Windows 7 32-bit in it?

Note: At this point, it appears that Windows 7 32-bit drivers do exist for the chipset, graphics, audio, ethernet, wireless devices.

-----------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
My DELL MINI – 10 (1010) – Service Tag No. H5092M1. This is a brand new netbook I have though need to upgrade it and wish to install a appropriate Windows 7 program that will allow me to install AutoCad, Adobe Creative Suite, and other compatible engineering software programs I have on my desktop with Windows 7 pro 64bit. Though for the netbook I wish to stick to a 32 bit OS for Windows 7 . I have seen that the majority of new netbooks have Windows 7 Starter Edition that come with it and do not know if this would work for me or not. I do not plan to go back to XP since there is no security software unless I manually update the Microsoft Security Essentials on a daily basis together with the Malwarebytes Pro programs which I use at this time on my PC. If I can do this with XP and save myself from having to buy a new Windows 7 OS program and reload all programs and files on the netbook., than I would like to continue using XP if possible. I also use ACE Utilities programs on all .

#6 ·
Service Tag No. H5092M1
Here is the Dell support site that's assigned only to your Dell Inspiron Mini 10 netbook.

It was purchased in May 2010 and came with Windows XP Home Edition SP3.

Here are its primary Windows 7 32-bit drivers:

Intel Mobile Chipset

Intel Media 945GSE/GM965 Graphics

Realtek ALC269 High Definition Audio

Realtek RTL8102EL Ethernet

Dell Wireless 1520 WLAN Half MiniCard

Elantech Touchpad

The chipset driver should be installed first before installing any of the other drivers.

for the netbook I wish to stick to a 32 bit OS for Windows 7
Windows 7 needs 2 GB or more of RAM to run properly.

That netbook comes with only 1 GB of RAM, so you should replace it with a 2 GB module.

It uses a single 2 GB DDR2 PC2-5300(DDR2-667), 1.8 volt, CL=5, unbuffered, non-ECC SODIMM module.

This is a brand new netbook I have though need to upgrade it and wish to install a appropriate Windows 7 program that will allow me to install AutoCad, Adobe Creative Suite, and other compatible engineering software programs I have on my desktop with Windows 7 pro 64bit
I agree with lunarlander.

A netbook is not designed to run such system-hungry programs.

---------------------------------------------------------

#7 ·
I have seen that the majority of new netbooks have Windows 7 Starter Edition that come with it and do not know if this would work for me or not.
Windows 7 Starter is a non-starter for you. It only came preinstalled, and you probably will not even be able to find a pirated copy. Besides, it does not work as well as the other versions. As I said before, "Home Premium is the best value unless you know you need a feature it does not include."

If you are going to spend money on that under-powered machine the best value would be another GB RAM, if the machine has a max of 2 GB memory. Even if you stick with XP you may need the extra memory to run the applications you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.