Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has had a Dell Inspiron 1300 for about 4 years.
The mousepad works sometimes or the right/left click keys work sometimes;
but it sometimes boots up and nothing works..frozen mouse pointer, no response to touch.
The keyboard itself needs harder hit pressure, too, on some keys to get a response and a letter, while typing.
Does anyone have any suggestions about repair for this problem?
Is it possible it's a MB going bad? Or are the keys and the mousepad on a separate piece of hardware?
Please let me know if this could be a lost cause...
I just spent a month going through a HDD recovery after a power failure occurred from a pinched power cord (battery is dead)...
long story, but I finally got it all back and working, EXCEPT for the mousepad/keys issue;
Which was beginning to fail intermitently prior to the power cord problem.

Thanks for any advice you have..

Rick (shobuz99)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joeten,
I took your advice and went to the link.
I discovered that I (my son) needed to have an account or login with Dell
to download the drivers...
Long story short, I found the actual Touchpad driver (R120179.exe) on another site
and downloaded it and installed it. I didn't find any separate driver for the keyboard;
and I assume the Touchpad driver (R120179.exe) applies to the whole hardware assembly.

Once I installed it and rebooted, I didn't see any significant change in behavior; but
the synaptic icon appeared in the 'tray' and is functional. It wasn't there before.
Thanks for your advice.

I think that something is still not quite right with the keyboard, because
some of the keys still need to be taped harder than others...which makes me think
there is still a hardware issue... I just don't know for sure.
thanks again,

Rick (shobuz99)

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
THe keys being harder to press usually means that the Keyboard is in serious need of cleaning..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THe keys being harder to press usually means that the Keyboard is in serious need of cleaning..
You are absolutely right. I don't doubt it. The question is, what's the best way to clean the keyboard?
Do I need to disassemble the unit? Or just run a fine soft brush over it, with a vacuum cleaner?

thanks
Rick (shobuz99)

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
For loose crumbs and dust usually a can of compressed air would suffice. But if there is sticky caked on crud then yes disassembly is going to be required to clean it. This all depends on your level of experetise when it comes to disassembly and assembly of a laptop. Though Dells seem to be easier to get to the keyboard to me. A competent Computer shop may be the place to take it for cleaning.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For loose crumbs and dust usually a can of compressed air would suffice. But if there is sticky caked on crud then yes disassembly is going to be required to clean it. This all depends on your level of experetise when it comes to disassembly and assembly of a laptop. Though Dells seem to be easier to get to the keyboard to me. A competent Computer shop may be the place to take it for cleaning.
Thank you. There's no sticky stuff. I will pick up a can of compressed air and give that a shot.
As for the competent computer shop, I think I know of one :)

Thanks again all, for all your help.

Rick (shobuz99)

·
Deceased
3,850 Posts
hi you seem to have run into something on the site i never have,the link i gave you was the one as far as i can tell for your model you usually just download what you need with no need for login ,account,or any other input,on another note vaccums are a no no around comps as the create static a real killer for mobos,chips,ram etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.