Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Reoccuring problem with wireless

840 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
Hi everyone

I have this odd problem with my wireless. I'm using an hp pavilion notebook and recently I've had this problem occurring, today around 10 times at the very least. When I'm just using my laptop on the net as I usually do everyday, it would randomly just stop working. My browser would not load anything as if I did not have an internet connection which my internet icon thing on the tray would still show that I am connect with "Access: Local and Internet". What's evenmore strange is that if I had any downloads running, they would still be active and very much working. MSN/AIM messengers would still be connected perfectly but I cannot send out any messages. I've tried many things but the only thing that works is rebooting the pc then it would work again but this problem occurs quite often. Is there any fix for this if anyone ever came across it? I've googled this a lot already and still nothing.

I know this must sound like a common issue you guys hear about all the time, I've seen numerous ones similar to mine and tried those fixes but they don't seem to work, so if anyone wants to, please leave me a reply, thanks.

#2 ·
Well, from the description, the first thing I'd do is do a comprehensive malware scan. One of my favorite tools for the purpose is Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Note this is more than your AV will do, and I hope you have a current anti-virus running on your machine, right?

#3 ·
I'm not sure if mine is good but I have webroot antivirus with antispyware. I have scanned it multiple times with different programs too and nothing shows up, says my machine is clean. I'm starting to think it might be a hardware problem and was thinking of calling hp support and sending it in. Is there anything I can try to fix it before I do that? I really don't want to resort to sending it in to repairs.

#4 ·
I can think of three possibilities, all involving "a little corruption."

Make sure you have the latest driver for your wireless adapter. It it is the integrated adapter the driver should be from HP's web site. If you already have the latest driver use Device Manager to uninstall it; reboot and let Windows discover the adapter and reinstall the driver.

If this problem does not occur when using ethernet the next two will probably do no good.

If you have a non-Windows firewall or security suite uninstall it. If it's a for pay one make sure you know the product key or whatever you need to reinstall it. If it's Norton or McAfee (or if you ever had either of those) use the respective Removal Tool. After testing you can reinstall it and probably be OK.

You didn't tell us your OS so I'm going to guess ...

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

#5 ·
I'll be taking a try with all the methods above, thank you very much.

And sorry about missing so many important details in the starting post. If it helps any, I'm using vista and my wireless adapter is an Intel(r) wireless wifi link 4965agn as it says on device manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.