Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to anyone who can advise me, please?

I have loads of MP3 files that are all correctly titled with name and year. When I want to burn any to an audio CD, I put the chosen ones in a folder and then add 01, 02, 03, etc just in front of the titles. This makes it easier when adding to Roxio/Nero for burning. I don't always get the order as I want it in one go, so I therefore have to keep changing the sequence. What I mean is, I then change number 3 to 5, then maybe a different number agin to change the order to get it exactly as I want them to play on the CD, before eventually burning.

Can you please tell me if keep renaming the files in this manner will actually harm the quality of the MP3's? It's just that lately I have noticed that some files sound a little bit 'bubbly' and when I go and check on a backup disc, the ones in question seem to sound better, or OK. I am sure it isn't my imagination.

What I used to do is put the MP3's in order once copied to Nero but this takes far longer than getting the order right beforehand, if you see what I mean?

I look forward to hearing from anyone.
Maureen

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
If you want to keep the songs in track number order, use either Artist - Track Number - Track Title or Artist - Album - Track Number - Track Title as the naming convention. You could even use Artist - Release Year - Album - Track Number - Track Title, but the longer the name the more gets truncated when you burn it because the limit is 64 characters.

It's also good to have the tag data match the filenames. Their are many tag editors that you can use for this purpose, the one I like is Mp3/Tag Studio, it's freeware but does have a nag screen.

Renaming the files should have no effect on sound quality.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Stanley
So what I was doing is still OK then? I used to use the sirname but find using the forename and then sirname easier for finding them. I have been doing this system for years but it's just lately that I keep thinking that some songs don't quite sound as crystal clear as before, albeit some being back in the 50's + 60's music!!

You suggested the artist then track number but this won't get the songs in the order I want will it? This is why I put 01, 02, 03, etc before the relevant tune. As per usual, I listen to the order by clicking on each one and hearing how they sound and then decided I want to change the order.

Thanks ever so much for such a fast response. I was getting quite anxious because I have decided to get cracking and make up the CDs of all the old music I have on my PC. I have done all the trad jazz and country, blah blah, which seems fairly easy compared to all the pop stuff I have on here :-D

Bye for now
Maureen

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Oh, I thought you were talking about track number order within an album, but it sounds like you're talking about a custom order, in that case I would use a playlist. What program are you using to organize your music? Most programs support playlists.

You can edit a playlist to get it just the way you want it, then drag it into your burning software and it should keep the same order. That way you don't need to rename the files.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have never used a playlist because I have never thought about it (maybe i should?). I just create a folder and add the music files I want to use and then put them in the order. The order being how I want to listen to them once burnt to CD. I do use Audacity to what I call 'top and tail' the tracks to remove the silence at the beginning and end, which takes forever but well worth it. I also take out the tick in the burning software to remove the standard 2/3 second gap.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Stantley very much for your help and advice
Morny

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Hi Maureen, you're welcome.

You were saying that you noticed that some files sound a little bit 'bubbly' and you also said that you use Audacity to what I call 'top and tail' the tracks to remove the silence at the beginning and end. (BTW, you English folks have some cool sayings).

If you record a song and export the file as an Mp3, and then later on read it back in to Audacity to 'top and tail', that could account for the loss in sound quality. When you take an Mp3, uncompress it to a wave file and the compress the file back to Mp3 it will effect the quality.

If you record a song, edit the wave file and then export to Mp3, it should be OK.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All my MP3's are saved as such and when I use Audacity to 'Top & Tail' :-D I save these as MP3's again so it should be OK.

You'll probably think me barmy but a week ago (or so) I bought a cactus plant to absorb the negative energy from the electrical equipment that surrounds me. Since then I have had problems and yesterday I moved it to the kitchen to see if it would make a difference and so far so good.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
All my MP3's are saved as such and when I use Audacity to 'Top & Tail' :-D I save these as MP3's again so it should be OK.
You see that was my point. When you take an Mp3 file and put it in to Audacity, it converts it to a wave file and then when you export the file you compress it back to Mp3. Everytime you uncompress and recompress a file like that you lose sound quality.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't know that?? I mean..... I have the original MP3, which I've added to Audacity and then take out the bits I don't want and save it again as an MP3, it should save it again as the original? It doesn't make sense, does it?

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Like I said when you read an Mp3 into Audacity it gets converted to a wave file and then when you export the file it's converted back to Mp3. Every time you convert the file you lose quality.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, I had no idea it converted it to a Wav. I have even stretched the odd ones out whilst I was joining up a few tracks of Charlie Kunz. Some are fairly short pieces of music and it worked really well and I enjoyed doing this. I made a point of remembering how many times I Ctr +1 and made sure I Ctr+3 to put it back as it was. Not sure if it would make a difference byte-wise once back to MP3 or not if I'd left it expanded?

Thanks Stantley ever so much and I will watch closely in future when taking bits out!!
Morny

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
What you can do is when you make a recording save the wave file(s), do all your editing on the wave files and then when you have it the way you want, export the Mp3 file as the last step. Wave files can get pretty big so how many you save depends on your disk space.

A couple other freeware tools you can get are mp3DirectCut which will let you edit an Mp3 file directly without converting to wave. Another one is mpTrim which you can use to 'top and tail' and it will also put in a fade if you want, again without converting to wave.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's brilliantly, Stantly, and I will download the software, thank you. Wished I'd known about this because I have virtually done all my sorting out to CDs now! I didn't appreciate there were any other software to do this task. I suppose I never looked because Audacity is so good at lots of things and I just stuck with it. I confess I did at one stage, in the early days, wonder whether any quality was lost by doing it my way but the sound seemed fine so I carried on.
Thanks again for your invaluable help.
Morny x x

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.