Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an RCA Lyra MP3 player. When I download an audio file from a website I belong to (I am a paid member, it is not illegal and it's not music) it downloads by a certain name that the website has given it.

I then change the name on my computer and copy the file to my player. When I go to play the file the original name of the file is still there on the display. The name always begins with the name of the website and this player has a very small display so if I don't change the name I will never know what I am listening to.

If I open up the player contents on my computer it shows the filenames that I have given it....but when I play the files I see the original filenames.

This is very frustrating. Can anyone help? Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
lola2001 said:
I have an RCA Lyra MP3 player. When I download an audio file from a website I belong to (I am a paid member, it is not illegal and it's not music) it downloads by a certain name that the website has given it.

I then change the name on my computer and copy the file to my player. When I go to play the file the original name of the file is still there on the display. The name always begins with the name of the website and this player has a very small display so if I don't change the name I will never know what I am listening to.

If I open up the player contents on my computer it shows the filenames that I have given it....but when I play the files I see the original filenames.

This is very frustrating. Can anyone help? Thanks.
You need to change more than just the file's name. Most players will allow you to edit this information. For example, in Windows Media Player, you would right-click the MP3 you wish to change, then choose "Advanced tag editor"

I believe you can do this right in Windows XP by simply right-clicking the file, choosing properties, then going to the "summary" tab and editing the info there as well.

Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Lord Yorien says:

3FS is right. .MP3 files have an internat database called ID3 tags. Currently there are wo versions of the ID3 tags, called ID3v1 and ID3v2, the v2 allowing more information than the v1. Depending on the .MP3 file configuration, the player will show different information:

1-. If there is no information on the tags, the player will show the filename

2-. If there is oinformation on ANY of the tags, the player will show the information on the ACTIVE ID3 tag (you may have info on both tags if you want, and just have to place a mark on the one you want to load. The info loaded will depend on the player, most time you may choose the info displayed)

You may check your player's help on how to change the tag information, since different players have different options. Most of them display the tag just by double-clicking on the song's name on the display when loaded in the player, though.

Lord Yorien Dragonard

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well thanks for the information. I understand now. I don't fully understand how to change these tags though. I've right-clicked on the file and all I get is the properties. I can only change the filename and read only etc. This doesn't work though. I don't use any software with my player, I just drag stuff onto it in My Computer. I don't see any other place I can change it. Maybe I need to use some kind of software? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
44,269 Posts
You can use pretty much any media player, like Windows Media Player or Winamp or even iTunes. All you need to do is load the audio file into the player and then edit the titles there. For example in WMP, just click on the area you want to change, ie the name of the song. It should highlight the song name and then you can change it, just like if you are renaming a file on your computer.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cannot change the summery on the device itself. I can change it on my computer, but when I copy it back to the device it says this information will not be available.

I tried to change the filename in real player but I couldn't change anything. I don't have any other player yet so I'll look around and see if I can find something that will do it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found out that I can do it with Real Player but not on the device itself. I can change them on my computer (File>Clip Properties>Edit Clip info) and then copy them back to the device.

Thanks for all the help. I will now mark this solved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.