Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new PC and I am having trouble renaming files. For example jpeg pics and downloaded video clips. I right click on the file or picture and then a menu appears. I select rename and a little box appears and allows me to type in the new name but when I hit the enter key I get a warning that renaming the file extentiion may make the file unreadable and gives me an option of yes or no for renaming.
If I select yes the icon changes to a square with little coloured bits in it and the square has the top righthand conner folded over. The file will then not open.
On my old computer I changed the file names and picture names with no trouble with the right click method but now I can't.
Please can somone help.
I have xp home installed.
Thanks XBR.

·
Super Moderator
65,959 Posts
you need to add the extension - so .jpg etc
so whats in the small box below where you are renaming

give that a try - it may be a simple setting of showing the extensions or not - i'll check

yep
goto
tools
folder options
View
make sure that
hide known extension is ticked
then you cna rename without needing to add the extension

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Open windows explorer and click Tools> Folder Options> View tab, scroll down and see if Hide known file extensions is unchecked. Sounds like the extensions are shown and you rename the file, you change the file extension.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That has solved the problem. I am impressed. I have only found this site 15 minutes ago and my prob is solved. Thanks again. XBR.

ps. ETAF is a star and a credit to the site. THX

·
Super Moderator
65,959 Posts
Your Welcome. :up:
Augie65 - had the same idea to
what does XBR mean
Would you now mark this thread solved - which you have the power to do from your first post.
goto
Tick - Mark Solved

·
Super Moderator
65,959 Posts
yea, i'm divorced, and my children {15 & 17 } are often on MSN with me most days and I have to ask all the time as to the abbrivations - feel so stupid most of the time.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This has nothing to do with my question but as a way of saying thanks I'll play along.
A Motorway in the UK is known as "A Rat Run" I used to be a Black Rat which is a Traffic Police Officer. I am now retired so I am an EX Black Rat. Therefore the name xblackrat abbreviates to XBR. Thanks guys.
U learn sumfink everyday even iof it's trivia.
If you ever get onto who wants to be a millionaire and they ask this question I expect a 50/50 split.

·
Super Moderator
65,959 Posts
oh I just realise - its an abbrivation for your name -
now i feel silly
i thought it was something like
LOL - laugh out loud
K - which i think is Cool / OK / yes
type stuff......

thanks for the explanation

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status