Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of reformatting the hd on my old gateway. I am following the instructions given here on this board to do so. I have gotten to the part where I 'delete partitions' (option 1 on my system). A warning comes up saying that all info will be lost and am I sure. I click 1 again to confirm (and here is where I'm lost), it asks me to 'enter Volume Label'. What is this and where do I find it? Also, in the instructions provided here it says to 'delete any and all you see listed', there are 4 options in my menu. Question: Will the process go back so I can select each individually? Can I select them all at once? Do I have to fdisk for each selection?

(please feel free to email)

Thank you!!!
transcriptionist.

·
Registered
233 Posts
'Volume Label' means only the 'name' of that partition, nothing else, it means, YOU decide it. About the other options, better wrte them here so we can help you in a better way. Good luck.

P.D.: Just in case, the restore process you're perfoming is irreversible, I mean, you won't be able to recover any previous data.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for replying cavp!

The four options listed in the first screen are

1. Create DOS partition or logical DOS drive
2. Set active partition
3. Delete partition or logical DOS drive (the one I selected)
4. Display partition information

what do I enter as the volume label? If it is individualized to my computer, where do I find that information?

Thank you again....SO MUCH!

transcriptionist

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wrong list.....

These are the options I was referring to in my first post..

1. Delete Primary DOS Partition
2. Delete Extended DOS Partition
3. Delete Logical DOS Drive(s) in Extended DOS Partition
4. Delete Non-DOS Partition.

Sorry about that!!!!
:eek:

·
Account Disabled
1,222 Posts
The Volume Label information is on the same screen where you need to enter it. Look at the top. There should be several columns of information. One of them is Volume Label. In order to delete a partition, you have to enter the Volume Label of the partition you want to delete. If there's nothing in the Volume Label column, just hit Enter when prompted to type the label.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.