Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Hope someone could help me here.

I recently had to reformat my PC and now I need to reinstall my video card and sound card drivers. The only problem is, I don't have the driver CD anymore.

Also, when I try to find out what my video/sound cards are I draw a blank because they don't seem to be displayed anywhere (display properties/settings/advanced/adapter). All adapter type and adapter information are all <unavailable>.

I know my video card is ATI but that's all I know and as for the sound card - I haven't a clue what make that is. I've been on the ATI website but there are so many drivers I don't know which one to download/install.

How do I start to gain control over my PC again and find/install the necessary drivers???

Thanks in advance for all your help,

C h r e d g e.

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the reply Nessyguin.

I installed Belarc Advisor, ran the program but under 'display' and 'mulimedia' it said none detected. Does this mean there is a problem with my sound and video cards???

Cheers again,

C h r e d g e.

· Trusted Advisor
86,028 Posts
Go here and download and install Everest Home Edition 2.20.405. It does a much better job than Belarc Advisor in telling you what hardware is in your computer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Never ever format a hard drive and do a clean install of Windows XP without first knowing what hardware is in your computer and then downloading and burning off the drivers to a CD-R. The ones of primary importance are the display adapter, the sound device, and the network adapter. Windows XP has a built-in driver database, but it doesn't usually provide all the needed hardware drivers during its install. If your computer is a known factory brand and has the original hardware still in it, its support website should tell you what the hardware specs are.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Guys,

Cheers for the replies - thanks!:)

Everest Home Edition displayed that I have a ATI Radeon Express card so I have now successfully managed to install that driver and everything works fine with the video card.

It also shown I have a Realtek sound card so I attempted to install the diver I had down loaded from their website. Unfortunately the driver seemed to install OK but I still have no sound on my PC :(

Could any of you guys help me with this?

Cheers again,

C h r e d g e

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Guys,

All sorted now!

I had installed the Realtek High Definition Audio instead of the
Realtek AC'97 Audio - D'OH!

Video and sound cards working fine now - fantastic work guys - thank you very much!

Cheers,

C h r e d g e

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.