Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know RH 6 is old and all, but it seems to be the only OS that succesfully loads with my new pc. The others simply evoke the "Non-System disk" error when I insert them at the "enter OS disk" request. However, when I try to chose a partition for the OS to go onto, it recognized but does not allow Red Hat to go onto my Fat32 paritions. I even tried using Fat16 and still no-go. What type of partitioning is RedHat looking for and how can I do it?

· Retired Trusted Advisor
19,935 Posts
You need some unpartitioned space to install Red Hat onto. You shouldn't have any problems using Red Hat 9 on old computers. I do not know about Fedora. I have Rh9 installed on a Pentium 200 with 40mb of ram.

Are you booting from Disk one and installing from their.

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense: I did have all of the drive partitioned, but I could certainly leave some non-partioned. I am booting from disk, and I have Red Hat 9, but for some reason it's looking right past it. I have CD-ROM as first boot device, and RH6 is recognized, but not 9. I figured if I could load 6 I'd just upgrade to 9 when I had a more friendly UI to deal with. Thanks.

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just bought Red Hat Enterprise and called it a day. It works fine, and from what I gather, it's one of the more use-friendly Linux OSs out there. I like it a lot so far.
Thanks for your help, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.