Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I encountered a reboot loop due to backdoor.sdbot.ab or the viruses that come with it. I caqn't get into safe mode, I can't use the command prompt, can't use safe mode, I can't do anything basically. Everytime I boot up it goes to the windows 2000 screen then reboots to the beginning and keeps on doing it. I'm thinmking of obtaining a 2000 startup disk and fixing it that way..... You got any ideas besides that for me......

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
Welcome to TSG....

First thing if you do not have the Windows 2000 system disk you will really need it so I suggest purchasing one as soon as possible.You will more than likely have to do a system repair-install and will need the disk for that. For right now I would like you to do a HijackThis and post the log file here to check for infections and a HJT expert with the little gold shield will help you.

To download HJTsetup.exe To Download HijackThis go to the following: http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item5
Filename = 1137518044HJTsetup.exe

Save the file to your desktop.
Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
By default it will install to C:\Program Files\HijackThis.
Continue to click Next in the setup dialog boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialog.
Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
At the final dialog box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
At the top of the Notepad HJT log screen, hit Edit then Select All then click Edit and then click Copy doing that copies the text to the clipboard, you won't see it yet....
Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply. DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

A security expert should take a look at your log - please be patient.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am having the same problem as above, my win2kpro has been infected by a virus that both avg and avast could not get out, upon reboot as instructed by one of the virus programs the windows goes into an infinite boot loop. If you slave a new drive to it then the new drive will pick up the virus...will it not? That is the opinion of a company that writes a recovery program.. http://www.tugboatenterprises.com which makes Selkie recovery program. I talked with their tech today. He said:

"Selkie can definitely let you into your files via another computer on
your
network. However I can't recommend this strongly enough: ensure your
antivirus software on the recovery computer is up to date before you
attempt
to retrieve your data; otherwise you'll just end up with TWO unbootable
and
infected machines."

But the disk that is infected now had Avast up to date on it and it could not stop it from coming into the OS.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I've never seen it do it. Viruses/Trojans could care less about data. They want control of the machines and programs such as Outlook.

BTW, what's up with all the viruses? All of a sudden the board is full of this stuff. Do people ever think about what thye are clicking or downloading? Not beating up on you, but this stuff just amazes me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was logged onto a subcriber site when it happened.

Once the two drives are linked what is to prevent the virus from getting into the new OS? I have read other posts on here where the virus jumped into several machines that were networked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.