Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a box that had Windows ME on it. From what I can gather from the previous owner it has been FDISK-ed and Format C-ed. Also it appears that ME wasn't uninstalled before the before FDISK and Format C done. I thought no problem, I know how to install Windows 2000 which I intended to do, but "Big Problem". I am assuming this is why I got the box for free.
My Windows 2000 boot disks are telling me "NTLDR is missing". I have the ME boot disk but nothing else. I can get to a help screen with the ME boot disk, but I am lost at this point...far above my skill level. Is this box cooked???

·
Registered
295 Posts
Change the boot sequence boot to boot from cd-rom first. And restart pc for installing operation system.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I changed the boot sequence as suggested. I followed the above directions booting from a Windows ME CD which I obtained after my initial thread.
The reply was as follows:
"Boot Failure"
"Insert boot disket in A:"
<I did this with a Windows ME Boot disk and then "Booted with CD Support">
The reply was as follows:
The diagnostic tools where successfully loaded to drive D
....Drive E = driver MSCD0001 UNIT 0
Your CD-ROM is E
<then>
"The A:\" prompt came up.
<I changed to E: and tried E:\Setup to see what would happen.The drive accuated and I got:
"CDR101: not reading e drive"
At this point I stopped.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please remember:
"There's no such thing as a stupid question,
but they're the easiest to answer!"

Does Windows 2000 Professional come with a separate Installation CD? I borrowed a copy from a friend and he included 4 floppies numbered 1 through 4. I assumed these where boot disks, but after reading KIWIGUY's comment I guess I assumed wrong. So at this point if I do indeed need an installation disk I am assuming that is what these floppies are. So from this assumption I will continue. By the way I know what they say about assuming….

I started the box up with my WIN2000 CD in place and The reply was as follows:
"Boot Failure"
"Insert boot disk in A:"
At which point I put Floppy labeled 1 of 4 into A: & <enter>
Reply:
"NTLDR is missing press any key to continue" <Enter>
Same message.

·
Registered
295 Posts
1casey, make yourself another 4 boot disk from window 2000 cd. To make the boot disks from the cd, browse the cd, go to bootdisk folder and run the MAKEBOOT program. You need to have 4 floppies. Once have the bootdisk created, and try it again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
4 new boot disks...No good.... Same issue.

NTLDR is missing.

I am aware this is a somewhat common issue. I have followed a dozen or so threads concerning this issue, but I can't seem to come to a conclusion on the fix.

Help!!! I feel like I am going in circles and over my head.

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
17,735 Posts
Hi, Try this:

Set the CD as the 1st priority booting device in BIOS.

""If you are attempting to install Windows XP or Windows 2000 and are receiving this error message as the computer is booting verify that your computer BIOS has the proper boot settings. For example, if you are attempting to run the install from the CD-ROM make sure the CD-ROM is the first boot device, and not the hard disk drive. Second, when the computer is booting you should receive the below prompt.

Press any key to boot from the CD

When you see this message press any key such as the Enter key immediately, otherwise it will try booting from the hard drive and likely get the NTLDR error again.""

The drive may not have been formatted, only the boot sector is kaput: ""If you are attempting to add a new hard disk drive to the computer make sure that drive is a blank drive. Adding a new hard disk drive to a computer that already has Windows installed on it may cause the NTLDR error to occur.

If you are unsure if the new drive is blank or not try booting from a bootable diskette and format the new hard disk drive.""

It's also possible to copy the two boot files to the root of the C: drive (if indeed it's still there) from a floppy.

At the command prompt, type cd\ so you are at
C:

type dir /p (hit Enter)

do you get a list of directories or files? If so, the drive was not formatted but the boot area of the drive is bad.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BYTEMAN, I believe I have my boot settings set correctly. It appears the CD-Rom actuates first upon boot, however, I never received the "Press any key to boot from the CD" prompt. Could you describe how to correct check/set the BIOS Boot Settings.
I will check the directory.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.