Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my video card keeps crashing when running graphics intensive games (such as Guild Wars as the game I've done the most testing with) and I can't figure out why. I've had this video card for years and this computer for years and never had any problems but recently whenever I try to play anything after about 10 minutes of playing a strange error message pops up on the desktop telling me that the graphics card stopped working but that catalyst restarted it, then about a minute later it happens again, and then seconds later it always happens a third time and the third time the whole screen goes black and though I can still hear that the computer or game is running and even interact with things via the keyboard/mouse, I can't see anything. I tryed updating the drivers to the latest catalyst ones, tried updating the .net framework, tryed lowering the games to their lowest visual settings, still the same thing always happens, about 10 minutes in I get the first error, minute or so later second, and then less then a minute later a third and video dies. A few months ago I replaced the power supply so I checked to make sure the power supply had enough watts for the video card, but its a 500 wat PSU and ATI's site says a 300 Wat or greater is all thats needed for their Radeon x800 series which is what I have. Anyone have any insight on what might be causing the issue or how I could figure out what the issue is? Any advice would be appreciated.

Computers running XP SP3 by the way, 1.5 gigs of ram, Athalon 3500+ processor. Everything else still seems to run fine, its just during hard ware intensive games that the crash seems to occur. Its been a while since I played any games on here so I don't know if it started after any particular event but the only major change I can recall making in the past couple months since I last played was replacing the PSU.

Also, prior to updating my catalyst drivers the error used to be something like "Could not load or assembly CLI.Implementation, Version=2.0 . 289526427 ..." but now it just tells me that the card stopped responding and that it had to be restarted. Still after the third time the error comes up a third time the video is lost just the same as prior to the update.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I'm worried might be the case, but I don't want to replace the video card to find out it was something else or could have been more easily fixed as money is really tight. I actually might have an old video card from an old computer around here some where, thinking about pulling it out and trying to replace the x800 with it just to see how things run, if the same or similar error occurs then I at least know the problem is with something else besides the video card itself.

Incidentally, how would I go about checking the temps under load? Regardless, thank you very much for the feed back and advice!

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
CCC (catalyst control) has a temp gauge.

Or use PCWizard in my sig to tell you your system temps.

Dirty or damaged cooling fans can cause such a problem.

If your GPU has a failure... it should happen when you play the game... any game.
But heat builds up and then you fail.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked all over CCC for a temp gauge but couldn't find one, looked at screen shots online and the CCCs in the shots had an extra bullet that mine doesn't have for over clocking which appears to be where the temp gauge would be. Installed PCWizard and found a bunch of temperature gauges for the hard drive and processor, but can't seem to find one for the video card. Installed and ran a program called speed fan which has a bunch of temperature gauges with odd names, ran the program and monitored the changes at each of the first 2 errors (stopped the game before the third error occured and the video has not died since so it seems as long as I don't let the game keep going till its 3rd error things are fine). There was a value called remote that started at 54 C in idle, and raised to 67 during first error, and 70 during the second error. I read some where that the Remote is actually your video card's temp -10 C, so in other words in idle its 64 C and by the second error it was up to 80 C.

Does that sound right? If so does that sound like the heat is whats causing the issue?

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Yeah, you need the ATI Overdrive Panel (bottom of the list) to come up. Are you using a recent version of CCC or the original?

I think ATI stopped updates for X800 cards this year, they are only doing driver fixes for the DX9 cards. This is understandable since DX10 has been out for 2 years and they are releasing their 1st gen DX11 cards in weeks.

Here is the latest driver for your card (XP Home/Pro): http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownlo...v=9.3.1&ostype=Windows XP - Professional/Home

My 4670 is 38c idle. You can replace your card with something like the ATI 3650 or 8600GT which are slightly faster than an x800. If your PSU is powerful enough (I gather you have at least a good 400w just for the x800) A 4670 ($60~75) would be a good upgrade bump at X3 the performance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok it seems the issue is fixed. Your initial advice seems to have proven correct Compiler, when I pulled the video card out to look at it I noticed the fan was pretty dirty/dusty, so using a combination of a vacuum and some q-tips for scraping out dirt that the vacuum couldn't dislodge on its own, I cleaned it, re-installed it, and I haven't had an error/crash since. Its funny, I spent all this time downloading and running all these programs trying to figure out what was wrong, when if I'd just pulled the sucker out and taken a look at it from the start I could have saved myself a lot of trouble. In any case, thank you very much for all the advice

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.