Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I scanned my router with Nmap using its private ip that starts with 192 (or LAN ip whatever), it discovered two open ports. However, when I scanned my router using its WAN ip that starts with 72 (or public ip), it discovered no open ports. Why did this happen? Shouldn't I get the same result since I'm scanning the same router?
The computer that I scanned with was connected to the router btw.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
The 192 is your machine's address. The other is your public IP, the one the internet sees. Routers themselves act as firewalls and is blocking access to your network.

·
Banned
6,271 Posts
You need open ports from the LAN for router setup (port 80 would be one of them) but you are inside the router's firewall. If you scan your WAN IP, you'll be outside your router's firewall.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I guess my system is hacker proof since I didn't find any open ports from the outside of my network-nmap reported them as filtered?
Or can hackers still bypass my router?

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
If you have your IP. But you can't accurately scan the ports of a machine you are using. Are you scanning from a different internet connection or location? Or are they being scanned by someone else?

There is no such thing as "hacker-proof". After all, all the ports you are using are open.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Try using ShieldsUP! for scanning ports on your WAN port/public IP. Ideally you are looking for ports that are reported as Stealth

The URL changes so I cannot provide a direct link to the tool. Look for it a little further than half way down the page under Hot Spots.

Actually, though, a network is never hacker proof. Hacker very-unlikely, but never hacker proof.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
You'll need to have the scan done from outside for the results to make any sense. Try Curly's suggestion.

And, yes, just about anything can be bypassed by someone knowledgeable enough. That is why security is a constant battle and that cat-and-mouse game continues every day. And bypassing isn't even the issue if someone monitors everything that comes in or goes out of your machine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.