Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm reinstalling XP Pro from the CD. XP pro is still on the computer. I've come to the part where setup lists the existing partitions. Options are:

1. Setup Windows on selected partition (which is C:, where XP already exists).
2. Create partition in unpartitioned space. (only 8mb here - don't want that option)
3. delete the selected partition (C:)

I chose 1., but setup said that is not recommened because there is already an operating system there, so I went back to make another choice.

What should I do? Delete C:??? Help!

·
Trusted Advisor
85,507 Posts
Boot from the CD

Delete all current partitions

Create a new C partition and allocate the entire hard drive to it (minus the 8 MB)

Format the new C partition in the NTFS file system. Don't select the quick option!

Install XP

There will be 2 restarts before the process is complete. Do not press any key(!) when the Press any key to boot from CD command appears during each restart. The command will disappear in a few seconds.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully, you know the descriptions of the display adapter, network adapter(s), and sound device so you won't have any trouble obtaining drivers for any of them if the XP install process doesn't install drivers for them all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.