Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I recently updated my PSU to a Corsair 450W (from FSU250W) and my graphics card from the nVidia GeForce 7500GT to the 9800GT.

I installed the components 2 days ago and have had no problems for 48 hours. This morning I stepped out, leaving my computer running (gone no more than 15mins). When I got back the computer had shut itself down. Since then, the computer has shut itself down twice more.

I believe the problem is overheating due to a faulty PSU. I can't feel any air flow from the back of the PC (the PSU fan at the top). Assuming you all agree, is there anyway I can reverse the fan (if it is setup to suck air in instead of blowing it out)? I'm guessing no and will have to get a replacement. Bit confused why the problem has taken 2 days to surface though?

Is there anything else that could be causing the problem? The graphics card feels very warm as well, but its fan is running properly. I have given the case a clean out with compressed air also. There are no addtional fans (besides the CPU fan) but I have never had a problem with overheating before. I suppose additional fans is the next step if replacing the PSU fails?

Feels fairly obvious to me, but im lazy and impatient and was hoping you may have suggestions for a quick fix to save me replacing the PSU, or if you think it could be anything else causing the shutdowns.

Many thanks

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
It could quite easily be heat related. A 9800GT will run quite a bit hotter than a 7500GT which will increase the ambient temps in the case, therefore everything else will heat up more than before.

Try running it with the side off the case and a desk fan blowing direct inti it. If the problem goes you can be reasonably sure its heat and we can look at how to rectify that.

I would think that just the PSU and CPU fans wouldn't be enough in most cases.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm...development here: even though I can only feel heat and not blowing air, I just hung some tissue paper at the back of the pc and it is blowing out. So it seems the PSU fan is working and pushing the air out of the back of the case.

So this brings me back to square 1 as to what the problem could be causing the shutdowns. I am running a malware scan to check for software errors, but am fairly certain the problem will be hardware related.

Any suggestions? As I say, the 2 new components are the graphics card and the PSU.

Thanks for the recommendation Tanis. I have indeed been running the computer with the side case of and that seems to have dropped the temp by 7/8C and, so far, no shutdowns. No need for the additional desk fan as of yet. So I think you're right and the graphics card is the problem.

Any recommendations to help me keep the inside cool in that case? Obviously I don't want to run my comp for too long with the side off in case of dust/dirt build-up.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
First thing I would look at doing is getting an intake fan to put at the front of the case, at the bottom, something like a 120mm case fan. If you can force air in aswell that will increase the volume of airflow over your components and will help cool them.

What sort of temps is your GPU etc running at, both idle and when under load?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds like a good idea! Thanks for your advice Tanis. Thing I'm worried about is that I wouldn't know where or how to mount the fan? Maybe it's obvious once you've got the fan and instructions in front of you, but looking at my PC I can't see how I can mount a fan anywhere except maybe on the back casing. It's an iMedia 1559. The front casing has a space at the top for a second dvd/cd-rom drive (tucked behind it are most of the PSU cables that I didn't even need), underneath is the dvd/cd-rom drive, underneath that are the front ports, and then there is a space underneath that (before reaching the power button at the bottom) but no panels to remove (as far as I can see). Also behind this bottom space and the power button is the hard drive. Its screwed in place upright against the front panel. I suppose it would be possible to reposition, but I still don't know how I'd get a fan in it's place when there are no removable panels?

Also, taking a closer look at the back now, I can't even see how I'd fit in a fan as there are no removable parts that I'm aware of (besides the odd small piece of metal to allow for adaptor cards, etc.)?

Forgive my inexperience and thanks for you help. As I say, I have yet to install a fan or any type of cooling system. Am I missing something? If you require images to help you understand my above descriptions please let me know. I am away for the weekend but will post them on monday should you require them.

To answer your last question, with the sie panel on, SpeedFan monitored my GPU and core temperatures at reaching about 56C - oddly it could be around 56 for a fair few minutes before shutting down. I have been unable to test it at load because it shuts down first (though, I was able to play games on it the first 48hours - only since yesterday have I been unable to run heavy applications with the panel on). With the side panel off it is idle at around 42C - upto about 46/47C when under load.

Sorry for the long reply, and thanks again for your time and help!

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
It could make a difference. The 9500 will have a lower power consumption and probably create less heat.

Its possible that you case just won't fit additional fans, it you can post a few pics of the inside it might help.

Normally, the rear exhaust fan is in the PSU, thats often enough. With the PSU at the top, rear of the tower (common configuration) all the hot air inside rises up and is blown out the back.

If you have a small desk fan, put that in place and give it a go underload, running a game/application that would normally crash. If it still crashes you may well have another issue. The idea being just get a much air flowing over the internal components as possible, just to test it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi again,

So I've been running the computer the last few days with no issues. Only change has been that I have had the side casing off, keeping the components cooler. I can't think that there can be any other issue causig the shutdowns other than overheating, yes?

Thanks for your help so far Tanis, it has been most helpful. As I am unable to add additional fans to the case, I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of a pc case that would be able to cool my components. I'm looking at something with a front, intake fan, maybe an additional back fan (along with the PSU fan) and maybe even a side fan. This of course might be too much, but I'd rather that than invest in a case that doens't have the cooling capacity needed. Any ideas? I was looking at the CiT 1003 Black Gaming Case and similar. It is budget and seems easy to work with (though I'm not 100% it accommodates micro-ATX). Additionally I understand that budget prices can often come with problems. Please let me know what you think, if there are any cases (or other ideas) you can suggest, and, to save you time and effort, anywhere I can search with relative ease to find a decent case to upgrade to.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
The Antec 300 is a fairly well recommended case, see it mentioned quite a few times on here. Comes with 120mm fan on the front, 140mm fan on the top and has space for intake fans at the front.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

or the Antec 900 is another good one, but will cost you a bit more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021

This should give you an idea of what you are looking for at least. Ive had a look at the CiT 1003 case you mentioned and the main thing I don't like about it is the front fan looks fairly open so it will blow in alot more dust. If you look at the Antec cases they have mesh filters on the front which helps to cut down the amount of junk getting blown into the case. More dust = more heat :)

If you let us know where you are (UK, US etc) maybe we can help you find what you need cheaper.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers for the help! After my last post I took another look at that CiT case and also decided against it. I have since gone with the Cooler Master 690. Is full tower and was little more expensive, but arrived next day, lots of space for upgrades, mesh front and top, and 3 full working fans (with space for 4 more) - so I think my overheating days are over ;) well, seems to be working so far. Core and GPU down by about 15C.

Thanks again Tanis, you've been a great help!

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
No problem. Cooler Master are a fairly decent make aswell, I have a 335 which is OK but I still have some cooling issues with my GPU, although I think that is more down to the card than my case as I have 120mm intake, 120mm out and PSU out at back plus an aftermarket heatsink with 92mm fan on the GPU and it still has issues when it gets over 70-75 degrees!

It doesn't get that high often, normally only if the ambient temperature in the room is fairly high on a hot day but its still an annoyance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.