Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I read the entire post regarding Problems with connecting a second monitor and I have a similar problem with one tiny twist.
New computer is HP PRO 3400
It came with one vga and one dvi-d. Our monitors are all vga. Most of us with older HP's that have dual monitors are using a vga to dvi-i connector... so since I couldn't find a vga to dvi-d cable or connector, I purchased a dvi-d male to dvi-i female to work with the other converter (dvi-i to vga). It doesn't work.
When I plug in justthe 2 adapters, the screen says ‘cable is unplugged’ which seems normal. But when I plug the vga cable into the 2 adapters,it says ‘no signal’.
Is it really possible that I cannot connect this analog vga monitor to digital dvi-d without using some sort of electronic converter box?? Is there no such thing as a vga to dvi-d that will work?
Thanks for any help you can give... I'm trying not to have to purchase a new monitor.
:confused: Mary

·
Premium Member
52,999 Posts
VGA is an analog signal, DVI-D is a digital signal, DVD-I has both digital and analog hence the extra pins.

You have several options:

1) Buy a new monitor that has digital inputs, either DVI or HDMI.

2) Buy a graphics card that has two ports that can be converted to VGA; so a native VGA port, a DVI-I port, or a Display Port.

3) Buy a converter unit which I wouldn't recommend.

VGA is on it's death bed and rightly so.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.