Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Windows XP Pro Sp2, Intel P4 2.66 GHz 1.0 gb Ram
updated from 512 to 1024
am now getting various errors and random system shutdowns, browser closings etc. Here is my HiJack This Log

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 8:13:39 AM, on 1/15/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Office keyboard utility\1.4\nhksrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\htpatch.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Office keyboard utility\1.4\OFFICEKB.exe
C:\Program Files\Office keyboard utility\1.4\MMKEYB.EXE
C:\Program Files\Office keyboard utility\1.4\TrayMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Office keyboard utility\1.4\osd.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\MsgPlus.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Find-a-Drug\server.exe
C:\Program Files\Find-a-Drug\fadsetup.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\urlmap.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\Chris\LOCALS~1\Temp\Temporary Directory 2 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://channels.aimtoday.com/search/aimtoolbar.jsp
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.home.eastlink.ca/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://channels.aimtoday.com/search/aimtoolbar.jsp
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Helper Class - {D80C4E21-C346-4E21-8E64-20746AA20AEB} - C:\Program Files\NavExcel Search Toolbar\NavExcelBar.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyviewer.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {82100133-2A52-4AED-BE9E-497BF1B5001F} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: NavExcel Toolbar - {5AA06644-BC46-4220-A460-47A6EB47C96D} - C:\Program Files\NavExcel Search Toolbar\NavExcelBar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: AIM Search - {40D41A8B-D79B-43d7-99A7-9EE0F344C385} - C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\AIMBar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HTpatch] C:\WINDOWS\htpatch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiSUSBRG] C:\WINDOWS\SiSUSBrg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FLMOFFICEKEYBOARD] C:\Program Files\Office keyboard utility\1.4\OFFICEKB.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MessengerPlus3] "C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\MsgPlus.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WorksFUD] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\wkfud.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UserFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -u
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MessengerPlus3] "C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\MsgPlus.exe" /WinStart
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: think.lgo
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AIM Search - res://C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\AIMBar.dll/aimsearch.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyviewer.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: Aces Up! by pogo - http://game3.pogo.com/applet-6.0.3.35/aces/aces-ob-assets.cab
O16 - DPF: {AD0E37CE-0A0E-4183-83E9-902CC84A4185} (RootInstaller Class) - http://www.partners.extranet.microsoft.com/Content/launch/rootinst.dll
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service - Unknown - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Netropa NHK Server - Unknown - C:\Program Files\Office keyboard utility\1.4\nhksrv.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor - Zone Labs Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

Any Help would be appreciated

·
Super Moderator
46,570 Posts
Remove the ram chip first. See if that fixes the problem.

If you have nero, you can burn the cd right from the iso. Another option is to download the windows version and use a floppy.

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
were you having any problems before the mem upgrade?

you can't just park any ram modules in the slots. they have to be compatible and correct for your machine.

what's the complement of original mem, 2x256 or 1x512?
what's the new config?

the more garbage you download to figure out what's up will be more of a problem down the road than your mem problem now.

i'm not a supporter of sp2. :cool:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as I know they are compatible. the chip was purchased thru same distributor that I got my motherboard from and he runs a computer buisness, I watched him check both chips to see if they matched. But am pulling the ram now and will post back

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well took out one ram stick (the old one) just the way it had been set in, and computer seems to be working fine, when the system rebooted, it did its own chkdsk, and i saw that it deleted a couple of files, but I was not fast enuff to get them down. The system appears to be working fine now, on the new stick of ram, my computer should handle 1024 mgs of ram now that iit is working fine again, would it be dumb to reinstall the other ram stick and see what happens??

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
just cuz he sold it to you and runs a business doesn't mean he knows the business.

the one he sold you might have been bad and i would imagine he won't make any refund, claiming you damaged the goods.

depends on the mb as to how much ram can be installed, it'll be in the documentation.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well will check it out, although the ram that is running now is the new ram, not the old ram. I was having no problems before the upgrade no, Is it possible to have a bad memory slot?? What portion of the computer do I scan for info on the memory ???

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
they're not compatible, no matter what the salesperson said.

·
Super Moderator
46,570 Posts
A bad memory slot is possible; it is more possible that your machine cannot handle that much memory, the memory is mismatched or the memory is defective.

To check for a bad slot, put one stick of ram in the slot you suspect is bad. Now boot the system and see if it works.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all that helped, I put the old one back in the first slot and since then no more problems, has to be a bad stick, My distributor will be called tomorrow...
And of course I learned more again, this place is great to learn things on.
Cross your fingers for me they will take the ram back, if not, they will be losing a big customer, they have made quite a few sales from me last year, I hope good customer service will keep that in mind. But that of course only works if they are here for the long haul, and not just to make a quick buck, eh? Marking as solved.. thanks again, will surely see you on the boards again :)

·
Super Moderator
46,570 Posts
All most all ram is warranted for life. There should be no problem taking it back.

Glad you got it to work and you learned something along the way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.