Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to install an Epson clour 580 printer onto my computer and it cant communicate with the printer because its looking at port ltp all the time instead of the usb connection can you help me please ? my operating system is windows me

·
Registered
116 Posts
Amazing.Ive not come accross a USB printer yet.Turn on your computer without the printer plugged in. Then plug in the printer into the USB port and WME should come up saying that it has found new usb devices.Then when you get to the section where it asks for the driver files, simply browse to the CD that contains the files.
Most usb devices needs to be installed this way instead of running the setup.exe on the cd

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey Internet1,
After you try the suggestions that jcandiff gave you to try and IF it still doesn't work...I would make sure that it is enabled in your CMOS settings...I have a USB printer as well and it took me awhile to figure this one out.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok there hippy 420 thanks for your reply to my query its very helpful of you Im away to try out the suggestion right now will let you know how I get on thanks again .... bob

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey bob,
To get into CMOS is reboot your computer, once it starts loading up it will say something like hit the DEL key to enter setup.....of hit F10....but it will be at the bottom of your screen as soon as your computer boots up....hit the key....it will then take you into the CMOS Setup Utility.....arrow down til Advanced Chipset Feature is highligted; hit enter......look through all the options there....and see if it says anything about ONCHIP USB; make sure it is enabled...if it is not...hit the page down/up keys until it says its enabled....then hit esc 2...it will ask you if you want to save your changes, hit enter....you computer will start up and try installing the printer again......give this a try and tell me how it goes.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much for your rapid reply Sarah unfortunately I couldnt get into there because it was asking me for a password and I dont know it unfortunately,no idea why its asking me that but its a no go at the moment ...... thanks bob

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey Bob,
What seems to be the problem is that your CMOS setting are password protected....the only way to get into it is pull the battery out of it....so open up your case.....look at your motherboard.....look for something that remsembles a watch battery (it will be a little bit bigger)....pull it out and leave it out for a few moments.......this is going to clear your CMOS....if you have your documentation for your motherboard you can switch a jumper on your motherboard that will have the same affect.....do you have the documentation for your board?.....

Go to this link and read up on it...it has more detailed instructions:
http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/comp/mbsys/cmosClearCMOS-c.html

·
Gone but never forgotten
9,803 Posts
Thanks so much once again for your latest suggestion about rmoval of the battery but im not too sure about doing that just yet I will see if I can find out the password first or failing that will e-mail epson support line to see what they say about it.I will get back to you to let you know how I get on ...bob

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sometimes with USB device, you have to install the drivers BEFORE you plug in the device... If you do it the other way around, the device will not work..no matter what you try.
So before yanking the CMOS battery (which will be a good idea anyway...you WILL need to get into your CMOS at some point in the future!) try this:

Uninstall the Epson software, delete the printer from your printer folder and delete the epson printer port in device manager and reboot. Then install the usb drivers from here and THEN plug in the printer.
Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I thought I would put in my 2 cents here.....

When you run the installation for the printer, is there an option to set it as either an LPT or USB printer?

I have ran across scanners and printers (both USB) that have this within the installation.

My suggestion, (sorry sarah :(), is to try uninstalling and then reinstalling the printer just to make sure before you remove the battery.

Or to uninstall, then reboot the machine without the printer attached, then shutting down the computer (after it has completely booted), and plugging the printer back in, and booting up.

Windows should find it again, but instead of installing it at startup, click cancel and run the setup off the cd.

Hope it helps.....

·
Gone but never forgotten
9,803 Posts
Thanks to you Jest 8 for your suggeston and the site also I have done as you said and its in my documents at present and cant figure out how to get it to run any suggestions? and thanks again ... Bob

·
Gone but never forgotten
9,803 Posts
Ok Murky thanks for the suggestion there is no option for usb thats the problem but if you look at Jest8's suggestion you will see what im trying next and will let you know eventually if and how I got it working .... Bob

·
Registered
243 Posts
As far as I can see, it's a self executing zip file, so you should be able to double click the downloaded file and install it.

·
Gone but never forgotten
9,803 Posts
Hi there Sarah remember me you helped me out with advice on installing an Epson usb printer about the middle of October but that had to take a back seat for a while as I had a wipe out of windows 95 that took a month to get right,I think I was using my other name of Internet 1 at the time you helped,well I finally got it working by downloading up to date drivers from Epson's support site and now its 100% ok thanks for your help,take care and good luck .....thanks also to Jest8 and murkey for their input into this venture ........

·
Gone but never forgotten
9,803 Posts
Ps forgot to enter your name sarah its Hippy 420 of course

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.