Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm asking on behalf of a family member's computer, which is at another location. So I might not have all of the specifics at this time.

The computer is a Dell Dimension 3000, running WinXP Home, P-4, 512 MB.

At this time, the computer will not power up. The following occurs:

When the power button is pushed, the two lights next to the power button flash on for a moment, and both the fan on the power supply as well as the cooling fan are activated. Less than a second later, everything is dead. No lights on,(expect the green one on the mother board) no fans turning. In-other-words, for a nano-second the computer seems as if it will turn on as usual, then it's just dead.

I opened the case and checked all of the connections, and everything seems fine. When I have a case open and try and power it, I can hear a faint click, as if some type of safety switch (breaker) is causing forced shut down. (Don't know if this is even possible)

I forgot to check the diagnostic lights, so I'll have a look next time I'm there. There were no beep codes either.

Anybody have any ideas what I can check for? The computer is a bit older, so I'm not in a position to switch out parts just to rule them out. I'm hoping there might be something fairly simple.

Thanks for the time.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Sounds like the power supply? I would test it out by replacing it with a equal wattage or greater supply. Keep in mind that it is a Dell and that a good off the shelf supply might not work with yours.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply.

The computer is going to be donated. I only wanted wipe the HDD before hand, so I'm really in a position to switch out parts at this time, but thanks.

I did just stumble across this link, which gives some suggestions as well:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbysymptom/ht/pconthenoff.htm

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's the plan if I can't fix the issue. But I just want to make sure it's nothing simple I'm missing. I'd like to give them a working computer if possible.

There's some things on the link I put in my earlier post I'm going to try first. if by chance I get it figured out, I'll post back. Just sort of hoping somebody might say the same thing happened and they did ...XYZ and that same thing will work for me.

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
In troubleshooting you have to start at the beginning. The 1st thing to do is jump a known good power supply to the board and see if the machine fires up.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took the tower (only) home, and it appears to be working again. It boots and all diagnostic light are showing green. No beep codes either.

The only thing I did was reconfirm all connections were good, as well as removed the battery for a few minutes.

I'll mark it as solved (A lucky solve at that)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.