Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just reinstalled xp and all the drivers for my comp and updated to sp3, so i was wondering if there is something i can get rid of or turn off that can make my system run faster because pc 2700 ram dont come cheap :).

I have a compaq presario V2565, with an AMD Turion 64 1.8GHz, ATI Radeon Xpress 200M AGP, and 512Mb of ram.

·
Trusted Advisor
85,517 Posts
If you just finished formatting the hard drive, doing a fresh install of XP, upgrading to SP3, and installed the current drivers, you're running with a pristine clean computer and hopefully haven't bogged it down yet with a bunch of useless and unneeded programs and utilities.

----------------------------------------------------------------

As far as improving speed and performance:

Reducing the number of startup entries and services that automatically load and run will help.

Reducing the amount of visual affects and other "eye candy" will help.

You didn't mention how much RAM is in that computer, but more is needed if there's 512 MB or less. And PC2700 modules aren't expensive.

---------------------------------------------------------------

·
Trusted Advisor
85,517 Posts
I see you've edited your original comments. We now know it's a Compaq Presario V2565US laptop with 512 MB of RAM.

According to the product specifications site for it, it comes with 512 MB of DDR PC2700 RAM, but supports up to 2048 MB.

512 MB modules at the MEMORYX site sell for $24.98 plus shipping.

Depending on whether that laptop currently has 2 - 256 MB modules or has a single 512 MB module will determine if you need to buy 1 or 2 modules to increase the RAM amount to 1048 MB.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you flavallee, I am not sure why i didnt think of going to msconfig before but it compleatly sliped my mind, i did go in and turn some stuff off and it seems to be running a bit faster and a little bit more smoothly and thankyou for the site, i will definitly order some more memory at that price, thats the cheapest I have seen so thank you again.

·
Trusted Advisor
85,517 Posts
You're welcome. :)

Make sure to remove the battery so there's no power to the laptop before you remove or insert RAM modules.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.