Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to do as much research as I can with a system I have found for sale. Now I've been checking out the MOBO and here is where it can be checked out here http://www.asrock.com/product/P4i65G.htm.
But my main question would be for the video card now seeing that it has a AGP slot and is currently running an 32MB integrated graphics on it. What size would be sufficient for it a 128 or 256 MB card. Now also I'm in Canada so all I have for places are a few tech stores and futureshop. My main ideas where to get a card are futureshop.ca or a local place for me that has cards which can be seen at http://kctechs.com/components.html . So what would be the best guys and for extra this is the add that the person has

Used Computer System:
Intel Pentium IV Celeron D – 2.53 GHZ
ATX Mid-Tower Case
AsRock P4I65G Motherboard
256 MB DDR RAM
80 GB Hard Drive
1.44 MB Floppy Drive
16x DVD-RW Writer
Integrated Video/Sound/Ethernet
Loaded with Windows XP Operating System and various other software.
$275.00 for Tower

I've sent an e-mail to ask more information on the system and once I get a response I'm gonna ask if the system will be coming with the XP install cd and key so that if I have to I'll reinstall the OS an have it under my name and not the sellers.

·
Registered
215 Posts
it all really depends on what you wanna do with the computer, from the looks of it. Excluding playing games, your gonna need more ram. It's very nice so long as your not worried about speed, windows vista probably wont run well on it, but it's good for simple things. You wont need a dedicated video card unless your upgrading to vista or playing games. This technology is already out of date, so don't expect to be upgrading it any time soon except for the ram.

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
I just priced a brand new Dell for less than $500 that has twice the RAM, twice the hard drive capacity, a DVD burner, and a warranty. It has an AMD Sempron 3400.

No way I'd pay $275 for that old thing.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
I'd agree too that you can do better but I have one or two other thoughts. To get this for $275 with XP (probably home or Media center) and other software (what is it?) may be OK depending on use. The one thing I would not hesitate to do is add RAM as others have pointed out.

In the end if you have only $300.00 to spend then go for it but if you have a little more then there are some good deals out there right now. As far as the vid card you can get an AGP card for it but if money's a real problem you'd be better off using it for additional RAM.

Last, what's the warranty on this box?

Bottom line, are you strapped for cash?

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
The CD can be made, or obtained - the actual license is attached to the computer. And the system does include a free PCI-Express x16 slot. The inboard video on it is also more then sufficient for everyday use and even ok for from some basic gaming.

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
Compaq will send out CD's for most computers if you request them. Some systems have an option to make Recovery CD's from Within Windows. Not that you can't use any Windows XP with the proper and valid Windows XP license that comes with the system.

There's even guides, which I can't find at the moment, on how to make a Windows XP CD from the installation files on the computer's hard drive on 'OEM' type systems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.