Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older DELL Laptop running Windows 95. I plugged a PCMCIA external CDrom into the laptop and a pcmcia icon showed up in the taskbar. when I click on it and check properties it shows it is recognizing it as a cd rom. When I put a disk into the cdrom it does not spin. I do not know what to do. If the laptop is turned off and I put a cdrom in, it will spin. If I put a cdrom in while the laptop is on, it won't spin. The external cdrom drive is made by CNF. I am also using the PCMCIA cable that came with the CDROM. It says on it:
CARD PORT Portable CD-ROM
CNF, Inc.
Can anyone help? I am so close to having this laptop do everything I need, just need to solve this cdrom problem.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
There is also a USB cable available for these drives do you have one? It would be helpful to see if it works off of that connection.

I really do not understand how this device works when the laptop is powered OFF??? From what I have read, it is powered from the Card Slot, NOT externally, so when the PC is OFF there should NOT be power to the slot.

Perhaps this is an indication that the slot circuitry is messed up??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.