Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

My niece brought her PC down to my house because she couldnt get World of Warcraft to play. She was getting the error that a suitable display device could not be found.

I found that her video card was showing a ? in the device driver. No one had a clue what video card she had and she didnt have the start up discs, driver discs or windows disc that came with the PC.

I opened it up to find a ATI Radeon card. After going to the Dell support website I found that it could be a 2400 or 2600 model. I downloaded the drivers for the 2600 and installed them. Rebooted the PC, started up World of Warcraft and all went fine.

She had no virus protection on the PC and no firewall. I downloaded Adaware and Avast Home!. Then rebooted the PC. Still no problems. I started a thorough scan with Avast and went downstairs to watch a movie figureing it would take awhile. When I came back up to check on the progress, the desktop was only showing her desktop picture, no icons, nothing else. I had to shut down the power because the PC wouldnt reboot any other way. When it tried to reboot, I can hear the fans spin, see the blue power light flicker... then it goes to yellow/orange light and shuts down before the start up screen even begins.
Then the light goes out. A second or two later, the fans spin, the power light comes on again blue... then orange and goes out. The third time, all on its own, it comes up blue, I hear one short beep and it stays on blue. But nothing ever appears on the screen.

After 2 times of getting it to do this, the third time was a charm and it came up!
I ran Adaware, had it delete the cookies it found. I started up Avast and it was doing a memory test. 6 trojan warnings came up one after the other. Finally a warning from Avast said that it would need to reboot the PC into a safe mode to run the scan because the memory was infected. I said OK to the reboot and now I am back to where it wont start up. Just blinks, shuts down, starts up, blinks, shuts down, starts up, stays blue but nothing on the monitor.

I dont know much about the PC other than it is Windows XP, Dell Inspiron 530 with a 300 watt power supply and an ATI Radeon card.

Would this happen if I installed the wrong driver? What can I do now?

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
I'd check all your connections first, especially that the ATI is firmly in its slot, especially at the front if there is no lock on the slot to keep it from pulling out.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I reseated the video card and the PC started up this time.

Right now I have the anti virus program scanning her PC.

How can I tell if I downloaded the correct driver? :confused:

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
If it installed, it is probably correct since the ATI installer identifies hardware before installing. I don't know how many times I have had the same problem from the video card pulling out due to the heavy monitor cable.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
ATI drivers are usually for a series, rather than a specific card, and as Elvandil said, the ATI installer would abort and let you know you were trying an incorrect driver.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. So far I have been able to keep it running and have deleted about 12 virus/trojan .exe's. The anti virus program is still only on 0% progress. Its running soooo slow.

:eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.