Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My PC nightmare is my computer does not boot normally. It stays with the with the windows logo stuck(the flag).When it does give me my pc icons it runs really slow and I touch the mouse once or twice and it freezes. Anyway,What i would like to know (if anybodywould be nice to help me out) is should i reformatt my harddrive and what is the best software(easiest also) to use. I am a beginner, but I would like to learn. My PC does not allow me access to the internet. I ran Nortons antivirus but was unable to finish for some reason, I had to unplug the PC to restart it. MY PC Nightmare has begun.... Can anybody help?

If you think i should try some Run options let me know, I will try them.

I am looking for the easiest way out of this so i can use my desktop.

Thank You,
BrooklynJoe.
windows XP Ser.PK 1
E machine T2460
AMD2400+ 2 GHZ
60GB
768MB RAM(1 factory stick-256,1512 crucial Pc2100)
(266Mhz)

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
If this is a new or newer install and you dont mind formatting, then that is my suggestion. If you have access to the internet and a cd burner then you should first download and burn a copy of service pack 2 onto it so you can apply this update, you will need the full net install version: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...BE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en copy this to a cdrom so you can apply after the re-install.

You will also need your XP disk, you dont need to use third party format or disk utilities, the OS disk can do this for you.

Before we actually begin, make sure your computer can boot from the cdrom (place your xp disk in and restart the computer, if you get a "press any key to boot from disk" message on startup then it is already turned on) If not then you need to change the boot order in your CMOS (BIOS) (usually you can get to this by continually tapping del or esc as computer boots, this varies by manufacturer though so read your documantation or try different keys such as F5 or F8). Once in the CMOS (BIOS) setup, select boot options and change it to first device as cdrom, second as floppy then hardrive and save your changes.

Once you are ready, place your XP cd in the tray and re-boot.
Follow the messages for windows install (do not repair), press F8 to agree then install new (fresh) on the existing partition and format in NTFS (quick).

You will need to follow the instructions carefully so you press the correct key to format and install windows. During install you may be prompted to get updates, choose yes, windows will install, then when the computer is re-booting unplug it from the internet.

Once windows starts dont plug in the internet, insert the cdrom with the sp2 files and run it. After SP2 has been installed (an the OS re-booted), you can install your Antivirus software, then and only then plug in the internet connection. Go to ms updates and patch your version. Also update your AV software.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bradly said:
Before doing a complete re-install, I would try troubleshooting it first.

I would bootup in safemode and see what's causing the problems (ie. using msconfig).

See here: http://techtalk.yourtechonline.com/forum_startups.php
Dear Bradly, Thanks for the help. But unfortunely i tried the first step you told me to do with the "msconfig". I only got through start items then i had to try them service items today(Really right now), But My computer seems to be dead!... It has no lights around the start button and i can't get it to boot into the windows screen. I only get a light a small round one that stays on.I opened the box and the power spource fan is running, and the heat sink fan is running The only thing is that it seems not to getting and power. DO I
make the spectulation that the PC is dead? If not what do you think?

Thank you BrooklynJoe

·
Registered
773 Posts
So nothing appears on the monitor? Bios?

If not, make sure all the cables are snug inside your case.

Does the Motherboard have an indicator light?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dear Tech support guys and gals,
Thank you for all your help, I went and reformatted my hard drive and i replaced my power supply with a new one. I did follow the advice of Sequal 17. I would like to also Thank Bradly for all his help. right now the PC seems to be working fine. I do have a few more questions, but , Iwill look through the forums for some answers. if i am completly clueless I will post a new thread. Thank you again Brooklyn Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.