Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have a PC with Windows XP pro SP2, but it is full of crap and has a lot of viruses on it. I want to format it with XP Pro SP3. Now I only have the windows cd, but not the driver/firmware cd's for the motherboard, graphics card etc. I know with Windows 7 you don't need any drivers, Windows 7 takes care of it. Now for a new installation of XP pro, do I need the motherboard/graphics card cds? Or can I install XP, and then use device manager to update the driver's automatically over the internet?

Thanks

·
Registered
21,875 Posts
What is the make and model of the PC? Download all of the proper drivers to a flash drive or external drive prior to attempting the reinstall of Windows.

·
Trusted Advisor
86,014 Posts
Dexter:

What's the brand name, model name, and model number of that computer?

If perchance it's a Dell brand, advise what the 7-character service tag number is.

If perchance it's a HP/Compaq brand, advise what the product number(P/N) is.

---------------------------------------------------------

Go into the Device Manager, then advise what's listed in these headings:

Display Adapters

IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers

Network Adapters

Sound Video And Game Controllers

Since your CD already has the SP3 upgrade, you're ahead of the game as far as getting XP up-to-date after you format the hard drive and install XP.

What you need to do is obtain the current drivers for that computer's chipset, graphics, audio, and network devices, then burn them off to a CD-R or copy them to a USB thumb drive or both. You can then use that external media to install the necessary drivers that didn't get installed during the install of XP.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.