Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The password on my "other" PC w/XP expired. How do I get into the computer now? If I have to reload XP, will my folders and desktop be intact? Thanks in advance, Gene

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Sign into an administrative account.

It depends how you "reload" XP. If you use recovery disks, then the machine will probably be returned to the state it was in when purchased. That is the reason we suggest disk images or other backups.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Administrative mode is right. Re-boot your machine in safe mode. Select Administrative user when prompted (hopefully, you've never password protected this while in safe mode.) You can then go in (XP Home) and remove any passwords. Reboot in normal mode and reset your passwords.

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
19,786 Posts
I can't recall if you can remotely change the password if it is expired. So if you have another computer, you could remotely change it if you know the previous password. I have never tested it, but I can test it when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ron, yes it is the windows password. strangely, I never had a password on that machine. I guess that just timed out somehow.

Squashman, thanks, but that computer is not on the web. I just use it for typing, etc. But, it does have some important files on it.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
As suggested, you will need to log in with an administrator account to reset the password. And while you are at it, check the box next to Password never expires.

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
19,786 Posts
Ron, yes it is the windows password. strangely, I never had a password on that machine. I guess that just timed out somehow.

Squashman, thanks, but that computer is not on the web. I just use it for typing, etc. But, it does have some important files on it.
Doesn't have anything to do with being on the WEB! It just needs a network connection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.