Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all - I am using the Asus P5B-E motherboard. I purchased a card reader with front USB, and I need to know which plug on the motherboard to hook it up to. The manual isn't all that clear on this, and there are a couple of slots that would take the plug. Having read elsewhere that if this is done incorrectly, one burns out all the USB capability, I thought I'd check here to see what others have done. The cable from my front USB Card reader unit has pins like :::. on it.

If you can help out,
Thanks!
Mini.

·
Banned
5,251 Posts
You probably have USB 1 and USB 2 motherboard pin outs. If you look close you may even see them labeled as such. It doesn't matter which one you use and since you have an "all in one" attachment plug, connection is very straightforward, just match the pins up to the holes and press it gently down onto the pins, never forcing it of course.

The short out problem is more for older systems where instead of the unified plug, all the indivudual USB data and electical lines all had to be plugged onto the correct pin, one at a time, making it easy to mess up and short out the bus controller.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that - the manual mentions that if I plug into the IE123098 (not the actual numbers but I can't recall) that USB will burn out, board damaged beyond repair and so on. But then the manual doesn't cleraly identify which one is the IE one and which is the USB 2?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.