Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: overheating problem

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  brite750 
#1 ·
I have a generic machine running W2000 pro and the client says that it kept shutting down by itself. I found that the cpu cooling fan was worn out so I replaced it. Here is the problem, now windows wont load I cant get any programs to run, I tried to get the seagate HD diagnostic tool to run to check the HD but it gets to 35% and quits. everything just freezes while trying to start. Is this a motherboard problem or what do I need to test next or check.

#2 ·
If you replaced the Heatsink at the same time, then make sure that you re-applied the Thermal Paste or Thermal Pad...AFTER thoroughly cleaning off the old residue.

Also make sure that the Heatsink is sitting PERFECTLY FLUSH on the chip.

Also make sure that you plugged the Fan lead into the correct MOBO connector. Some fans/boards use sensor leads and track fan speed. If there is no signal present they shutdown the system.

#3 ·
G'day dwaynea, you might obtain "memtest86" and give it a run, accept no errors whatsoever. It is a program you can obtain off the net and make a bootable disk that will bring up a memory test program. It is free.
Although memory may not be your problem it is part of a removal of possibilities.
You do appear to have a possible hard drive failure likelyhood.
Cheers, qldit.

#5 ·
I suspect that the ram may have overheated as well, is there more than one module in?
maybe remove one stick if you have two, and see if it run's with either one.

Also reseat the ram and check all connetion's , you may have disturbed somthing while replacing the fan.

And yes if you have removed the heatsink you have to clean the old stuff off and reapply a good thermal paste.

What processor is it ?

Like winbob said, some heatsink's can be a little tricky to get them to sit flush with the top of the processor like socket 370s and the athalon's i've found to be bugger's.

have you tryed blowing a fan inside the case?

#6 ·
What type of cpu does this system use?

Did you pull the hsf or did you just remove the fan part and replace that?

If this is an athlon xp type of cpu, there is a good chance of installing the hsf backwards. This prevents the hsf from sitting flush on the cpu die.

#7 ·
OK I am sorry I cant tell you exactly what fixed the problem. I went ahead and followed all of the suggestions and it worked. I suspect it was the thermal paste that was the culprit. I cleaned and reapplied and made sure of the fit, I reseated the memory, then rechecked all of the connections. when I powered up it worked, thank you for all of the suggestions, nest time I will go a little slower so I can isolate the problem.

#8 ·
G'day dwaynea515, well done! I actually knew that!!! I was just sitting back!
In actual fact the problem in all these kinds of cases can be traced to a problem with the "nut behind the switch". LOL.
Cheers, qldit.

#12 ·
It is mid winter here and we have a real cold snap, currently midnight and temperature is someting like 15 degs C, I have had to put a jumper on, we don't have any heaters. I haven't seen blondey, hope all is well over there in NY. I don't mind the warmth. 33, wow that is getting up there. 35 degs c is amazing, can you imagine how your computer temp would go with a few peltier devices dipped in it. It would be a room cooler!!
A prescott reciprocal device.
Cheers, qldit.

#14 ·
Derrick said:
G'day qdit ! how she hanging in the tropics? :)

It's 33c here today ....Phew not used to the heat! :p

but my computer is still at 35c. :D
how do you do that, its about 33c here also except my cpu is about 55c just on the internet. those stock hsf suck i guess, i even have the one with the copper core and AS5 still no joy, fan says 4000rpm for cpu fan thru Everest

oh yeah, water cooled, cheater :D

#16 ·
Derrick said:
look at this!! no cheatin involved :p

All hand made ;)
yeah, the only way mine gets water cooled is when i throw it in the bath tub

#17 ·
G'day Derrick, stop showing off!! That million dollar prescott cooler is really some gadget!!
Yes I have a pelting device here also but she is currently up in FIJI somewhere!! LOL.
Cheers, qldit.

#20 ·
Derrick said:
Water cooling may not be such a bad idea , running one of those athalon's!

there pretty hot running too!
heh, the heck with the pc, what about me?, room air conditioner, I'm liking the sound of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.