Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Outlook is no longer available, I need an alternative email client. I can't install Windows Live since I'm using XP. I do have Microsoft's Office Outlook, but I can't get it to work. I followed the instructions word for word from Microsoft, but it's just a no-go.

When I had Outlook, I would move the emails I wanted to keep in folders I created under the Local Folders. I must have 1 000's of emails backed up. I want to go through them and delete what I don't want/need anymore, but can't because
1. I never got the Import Messages working in Outlook [it keeps telling me that the program is in use and therefore can't import... well, DUH!!! of COURSE it's in use!!! ],
2. Outlook no longer works anyway and
3. although I downloaded Thunderbird, it won't even put in the folders I created while actually logged into Hotmail [not even the Sent or Junk folders that are there by default], let alone the ones I created in the Local Folder in Outlook.

A lot of the emails I've saved I really need. They're ones sent to me after signing up with a forum or site and have my username and password in them.

How can I recover these emails so that I can forward them to an email account so that I can not only view them and copy out all the usernames and passwords, but also so I can delete the ones I no longer need?

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition and Outlook Express is 6.00.2900.2180.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
What is it about Outlook Express that is no longer working? Is it not loading up at all? Does it have any errors?

You should be able to uninstall and reinstall it. The problem is, I don't think it will keep the contents of your inbox (and all the other folders).

You can possibly recover these folders though. Do a search for "inbox.dbx", found in "C:\Documents and Settings\<username> (this is your inbox for your email). From there, right-click on the file and select "Open Containing Folder". This will show all the folders available (see screenshot below). Copy these files to a safe place. I don't know if it will recover your stuff though, so I would wait for more knowledgeable people to respond.

To uninstall and reinstall Outlook, go to Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Components. Scroll down to "Outlook Express", remove the tick from the check box and click 'Next >'. Follow these steps again, and replace the tick in the check box to reinstall Outlook.

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For months now, I've been emails from Microsoft stating that Outlook isn't going to be available anymore. Here's a copy of the latest email from them:

Sent: September 1, 2009 11:49:49 PM
To: [email protected]

Windows Live Newsletter

Dear Windows Live Hotmail Customer,

You are receiving this note because you have used Microsoft Office Outlook, Outlook Express, or Entourage to view your Windows Live Hotmail®. Microsoft is changing the way these programs access Hotmail e-mail which will require you to take action.

To continue to receive e-mail from your Hotmail account, please select one of the alternative solutions below before September 1, 2009. After this day, new e-mail can only be delivered to your mail programs through the following alternative solutions.

If you use Microsoft Office Outlook to view Hotmail, you can download free Office Outlook Connector to continue accessing your Windows Live Hotmail within Outlook 2003 or 2007. If you're using Outlook 2002, you will need to change the settings on your program to access your Hotmail. Click here to learn more.

If you use Outlook Express to view Hotmail, you can choose to download free Windows Live Mail (recommended) or change the settings on your program to access your Hotmail within Outlook Express. Click here to learn more about your options.

If you use Entourage to view Hotmail, you can change the settings in your program to view your e-mail. Click here to learn more.

Don't know what you're using to view Hotmail? Have more questions? View the FAQ page or visit the Community Forum.

Why is this happening? Outlook, Outlook Express, and Entourage use a legacy communications method (known as the DAV protocol) to access Hotmail. Because the DAV protocol is not optimally suited for programs to access large inboxes such as Hotmail which now provides users ever-growing storage*, new alternatives have been built. Last year, customers asked us to postpone plans to retire the DAV protocol until more options were available. Now that these options (including the POP3 protocol) are available, we are ready to retire the DAV protocol.

Thank you for using Windows Live Hotmail.

Sincerely,

Your Windows Live Hotmail Team

*Assumes a reasonable growth rate.
Microsoft respects your privacy. To learn more, please read our online Privacy Statement.
Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052

So as I can still start and open the program, it will no longer check for emails - which isn't a big deal, it's the backed up emails that I need. What it does is tell me that my usernames and passwords aren't correct. Which is a load of bull, they work just fine using the Hotmail homepage and Thunderbird.

To explain myself more clearly, what I had done was backed up all the emails saved and zipped them because I had to reformat my puter. Even when I reformated the first time, I could never get the backed up emails back into Outlook. I figured I'd figure out how to do it eventually. But now that Outlook is defunct, I'm not sure if that's possible.

I had tried the Importing Messages through Outlook [using every option of doing so that they offered] but each time I got a popup stating that it couldn't be done because the program was in use. Well, of COURSE it is!! You can't even access the Import option unless the program's running!! So now I'm at a loss.

·
Trusted Advisor (deceased)
5,176 Posts
Hi GentsBabe,

First question is, do you have a paid Hotmail account?
Go to this link for how to set up the new Hotmail in OE. CLICK HERE.
Next question is, where are you trying to Import your OE messages from and what format were they when you "zipped" them for a backup? DBX, EML, etc.?

T. :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I don't have a paid account.

I've already had the emails set up in Outlook for years.

They're in .dbx format. I just zipped them from the folder. I had tried putting them into my Identities folder and restarting Outlook when Importing failed, but that didn't work, either. When trying to Import, I went through File > Import > Messages > and followed the instructions. It just kept telling me that the program is in use and it can't be done.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
I use the free hotmail for some things. I went into OE Tools, accounts>mail and set it up as a POP3.live.com and smtp.live.com then click on the advanced tab and set the settings as shown in the attachment.
Good Luck
Vicks

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ETA:
Hit the wrong button the first time, I think I reported myself... LMAO

Anywho... I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!! After downloading a couple alleged free program's to recover Outlook emails [they LIED, btw] I figured out how to do it in Thunderbird!!! I'd assumed it wouldn't work because
1. the folders I had created while logged into the actual Hotmail website to sort my emails didn't show up in Thunderbird and
2. you usually hit File and the Import is in there. Well, in Thunderbird it's under Tools. Duh me.

So what you do is click Tools > Import > select Mail and click Next > select Outlook Express and click Next and it will automatically check the .dbx files listed in your Identities folder in Outlook. Once you've taken the emails from there - or deleted the ones you no longer want/need - you can either move or delete those .dbx files and if you have other .dbx files backed up, you can put those into that folder and repeat the above process!

Yay me!! **claps hands**

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.