Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cannot send an e-mail using OL 2002. The e-mail is instantly returned with the following:eek:ur message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Test
Sent: 1/30/2005 9:09 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

Gloria Stovall on 1/30/2005 9:09 PM
550 not local host pepperlink.net, not a gateway
I have check the account and the incoming mail server and sending mail server with no luck. I can reveive emails without a problem. Help

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks but this did not help. I read both of the post in your message but neither solved the problem. I have McAfee running but disabled all of it and tried again with not luck. Another suggestions

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Can you set up a new account and see if you have the same problems with that?

Something is definitely out of whack with some setting. Did this EVER work?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did not wrok. I changed the default account to my second emila account and the samething occured. System admin. Undelivered with the 550 error. I think I will give up.

Yes the email has worked for months. Just stopped in the last few days. I recently downloaded updates from McAfee for virus and firewall.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I called my ISP support line but got no help. I am going to bed because it is late. Will check this tommorrow. Thanks for all the help. YOu folks are great. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
LENOVO t43p AMOUNGST OTHERS
12,970 Posts
This is not one of those occasions where you have to be actually connected to the ISP in order to send email through them is it.???? I know there are quite a few ISPs changing the way that their SMTP servers validate the sending address. This is in an attempt to cut down on the use of the servers for spamming.

·
Registered
17,584 Posts
I agree with Dave.

Many are still changing to prevent "relaying" and that message is getting more prevalent. If you do connect to an ISP other than the one that hosts the smtp server, that will happen.

It does not affect received emails though.

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Just for fun, I'd give them a call to see if anything has recently changed. Go to a supervisor level. My ISP made a change on me without telling me, and I could no longer send email from one email account.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have two email accounts, both of which I bring into OL. Neither one of the accounts will allow me to send an email. I logged on the web, went to my provider, logged on to imail and sent an email that was successful.

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
Here's some more information regarding smtp 550 error messages. Again they are quoted from other web sites.

"This error message is coming from the mail server, not from Outlook Express. This error means that the SMTP (outgoing) mail server did not recognize you as an authorized user and rejected your e-mail message. Most ISPs (ISP stands for Internet Service Provider, and this includes GCI) configure their mail servers to recognize only those computer IP addresses that are on an accepted list. If you use multiple ISPs, or just switched from another ISP, you are likely to encounter this problem. The solution is to change setting of the SMTP server for that mail account under your e-mail application:"

"This error is caused by an incorrect SMTP (Outgoing mail server) setting."

"Error 550 can occur when you e-mail MLS listings using the E-mail Message window and any one of the following are true:

1. You entered an invalid e-mail address in the E-mail Message window.
2. You entered an incorrect SMTP mail server name in the E-mail Setup window, or PCAPLUS.EXE cannot access your SMTP mail server.
3. If you use more than one ISP on the computer that you run PC Access from, you many see the 550 - Mail Relaying Denied error message. "

For this last one, you might want to remove any items in your Outbox. If one is "stuck" there, you won't be able to send any others.

"This problem can occur when you enter one ISP's SMTP mail server name in the My Internet Mail Server field on the E-mail Setup Menu window, but you connect to the Internet using another ISP."

"If you are getting an SMTP error please check that the "my server requires authentication" box is checked in your mail setting" - if required

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally got my email problem fixed. The problem centered around the mail server of the ISP. They had changed something but tech support was able to get it fixed. A BIG thanks for all the help. It is great to email again.

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
I knew it ;) They always say 'nothing has changed here' :rolleyes:

Yep, sure............... ;) After you pull YOUR hair out changing everything.

Thanks for the update!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.