Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this one should be easy: How do I open up a new window in IE8 that opens to the home page, NOT a duplicate of the page I happen to be on.

Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was unaware this was an option, all the computers i use open new tabs or new instances of IE into the homepage. Do you have a homepage set in Tools > Internet Options ?

does this link pertain to your problem? http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/...-browsing-session-in-ie8-internet-explorer-8/
You may or may not be running a professional edition of Windows 7, but there is also a registry key described in that article. If that's something you decide to try, be sure to back up the registry before doing so, whether you create a system restore point, or have a personal favorite way of doing a registry backup.

Does this happen with a new Window/Instance of IE8 or when you open new Tabs? or Both?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Galoryber, I do have a homepage set; it's igoogle. I am not sure if it's windows 7 pro or just home. I'd rather not get into registry stuff....

Timmie, I do get a new page with hitting that tab, but it is not my homepage; it says "what do you want to do next?" It is already an improvement, at least. But surprised I can't just open up a home page....

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oops......spoke too soon. No matter what I do to change that setting, the new page will always come up as a duplicate of the page I happen to be on. I've included a screen shot of the tabs box, so you can see if maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'd appreciate if you'd look it over. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brett, I carefully compared my setting to yours and they match 100%. However, if I hit control N, I get the same page I happen to be on....it will not open to my home page. Any ideas?

·
Banned
16,915 Posts
I also get a duplicate when using Control N
However opening a new tab via the toolbar or opening a new window with the IE shortcut opens me a google home page, Control N is a shortcut to open a duplicate of the current webpage
Here is a link with IE shortcuts...I think what you are wanting is Control T

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/ie/ie7/quickref.mspx

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok.....NOW this is resolved. Thanks, Brett; control T brings up a new page which opens to the home page, just what I wanted. Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.