Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am having some problems with upgrading from AutoCAD 2005 to AutoCAD 2009. It seems that AutoCAD 2009 won't open files made in AutoCAD 2005, and since you can't, as far as I know, save a file from AutoCAD 2005 in Autocad 2009 format we may be having a problem.

Legally we have to keep all of our project information for 5 years, which includes our CAD files, so that we can referance them in case of lawsuits. However, if they were made in AutoCAD 2005 and we only run AutoCAD 2009, that becomes a mute point as we won't be able to referance them anyway.

Does anyone know if it is just something we are doing wrong on our end (as it just seems counterproductive to have software that isn't backwards compatable)? If not, does anyone have a way that we can upgrade the format of our old drawings to be able to read them in AutoCAD 2009?

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
I found the following at:
http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/autocad_2009_q_a.pdf

Third-party add-on applications based on Visual LISP® or AutoLISP®, VBA, ActiveX®, and ObjectARX® programming languages and developer tools for AutoCAD® 2007 software are compatible with the 32-bit AutoCAD 2008. AutoCAD 2009 is binary compatible with 2008 and 2007 and has the same DWG™ file format.
Third-party applications for AutoCAD 2004, 2005, and 2006 that are based on Visual LISP or AutoLISP are also compatible with AutoCAD 2009. Third-party VBA-based applications for AutoCAD 2004, 2005, and 2006 are compatible with the 32-bit AutoCAD 2009 in some cases, but in some instances those applications will need to be modified. For more details on AutoCAD 2005 and 2006 VBA-based application compatibility, refer to www.autodesk.com/developautocad. Third-party applications for AutoCAD 2004, 2005, and 2006 that are based on ActiveX and ObjectARX need to be upgraded to be compatible with AutoCAD 2009. Check with your application developer or supplier regarding availability of applications built for AutoCAD 2009.
You can find additional details on migrating applications to AutoCAD 2009 in the Application Migration Guide that is included in the AutoCAD 2009 ObjectARX SDK (software developer kit). You can find the ObjectARX SDK and much more information on developing applications and customizing AutoCAD at www.autodesk.com/developautocad.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
So, it would seem to depend the format that you used in first saving the files. If they are the "wrong" type, it would seem, from a quick search, that there are converters out there for sale.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Third party applications are not what I am trying to work with, however I did find the following on the same link you provided (emphasis added):

Has the AutoCAD® 2009 software DWG file format changed from the AutoCAD 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 products?
The AutoCAD® 2009 software DWG file format is the same DWG file format as in AutoCAD 2007 and 2008. The AutoCAD 2007 file format was updated and is different from the DWG format of AutoCAD 2004, 2005, and 2006. The AutoCAD 2009 DWG file format is also the same DWG format used in the latest releases of Autodesk’s industry-specific products such as AutoCAD® Architecture, AutoCAD® Map 3D, AutoCAD® Civil 3D®, AutoCAD® Electrical, and AutoCAD® Mechanical software applications. Nonetheless, you can still easily share files between design teams using any previous version of AutoCAD. As in the past, this new AutoCAD version opens DWG files created by any Autodesk product in all earlier DWG versions.
The problem is, I can't seem to get it to open ones from 2005, and I don't know what I am doing wrong.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. The link you provided really helped. Our main CAD operator contacted Autodesk and it seems it was an issue with some custom commands he had made in 2005 which needed to be converted.

Looks like everything is working for us. Again, thanks for your time and assistance.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
That makes sense - if he used a different coding language than the current version, you could have tons of problems!
Glad to help...my ex used AutoCAD a lot, but that is the only exposure I have ever had to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.