Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put in a new hard drive, and finally discovered how to do a simple drive-to-drive clone-transfer (after having bought and struggled for months in vain with a monstrosity called "NTI BackupNOW!")

Anyway, I find that after having done the drive copy - which naturally involved disconnecting, reconnecting and reconfiguring the drives - the Nvidia graphics card I've got in the system (GeForce 5200FX) isn't allowing settings selection at the start of games, or at all really.

For example, I go into the Start menu (this is on Win98SE) and click on "Setup" for Tomb Raider Chronicles (which had been working prior to messing with the HDs,) and when the settings box comes up all the fields are blank white, as are the drop down menus. No options.

Here's what I've tried: Both the Nvidia card driver and Direct X version on the disc that came with the card are obsolete (which is incredible given that I bought the card in March of this year,) so I downloaded and installed both the latest Nvidia driver for that card and the latest Direct X version directly from the Nvidia and Microsoft sites, respectively. Neither has any effect on the problem.

Any ideas as to what's going on with this? Do I need to physically remove and re-seat the graphics card to get it to reload its drivers? Is there some conflict with that native VGA driver (or whatever it's called,) that I dimly recall having to wrestle with when I first installed the card?

Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have had similar problems (FX5200) can't remember exactly, trying to install & re-install, but have found it easiest to:
1) un-install the nvidia drivers (delete the nvidia directory before rebooting)
2) Re-booting to safe mode and let windows install a standard VGA driver.
3) Re-start normal and use your downloaded setup file to insyall proper drivers

I'm sure there is a better/more efficient way to do this, but it works for me.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, J - I'd gone through this whole thing back when I got the card but couldn't remember. That sounds familiar, will try tomorrow morning.

Oh - when you say "un-install/delete the Nvidia directory," how do you mean? I'm at work right now so I'm going by memory - is there an "uninstall" executable program within the Nvidia folder that can be used, or do I just go into Explorer and delete all the Nvidia folders?

Thanks,
<***>

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I went through the whole uninstall/reinstall routine, and although the graphics card is obviously working, I can't get the nView Desktop Manager to show up in the taskbar, or even open when I click on its icon from the Windows Control Panel window.

And of course, when I attempt to run game settings from TR Chronicles, all of the fields are still blank except the top one, "Graphics Adapter," which reads:

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 - nvdisp.drv (0.0.00.0000)

- The Output Settings field is blank, but when you click the dropdown arrow "Core Design MMX Hardware Card Emulation" is still there;

- Output Resolution and Texture Bit Depth fields are both completely empty, and Sound Device has both "Primary Sound Driver" and, in the dropdown, "SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio (1480)" as normal.

I uninstalled everything (even removed and re-seated the Nvidia card,) tried the latest Nvidia driver 77.72; I reinstalled and tried the old one from the CD that came with the card, which is 66.94; I went to the archives at the Nvidia site and tried the previous version, 71.84, released March 2005 which was about the time I first bought the card. All of these came up exactly the same - still no Desktop Manager, and no Nvidia tab in the settings windows for any game application. In Startup in msconfig I've got all the Nvidia-related operations checked, still no go.

This settings menu stuff had been there before the Hard Drive copy, now it's present on neither the old nor the new HD. Something must be screwed up on the graphics card itself? Or do I need to just mail the thing to Nvidia with a nasty note, and go out and get one of their competition's cards?

(Actually I'd tried installing an ATI Radeon first when the old card died but couldn't get its drivers to install so I took it back and exchanged it for the Nvidia.)

Hellllp! :eek:

·
Banned
295 Posts
i had a similar prob and i found a program for removing nvidia drivers completely [Nvidia display driver remover] which i had to do first then reload them and that worked for me:)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't believe nobody here has run into this problem...?

Still as before: I did a HD swap and the Nvidia GeForce FX5200 is operating the display fine, but I can't get the Nvidia-specific settings tool in Windows Control Panel to open - and neither the icon that used to be on the task bar nor the one that used to appear when I'd right-click the desktop to bring up that settings menu, are present since the HD swap.

Another wrinkle: I just discovered that my DVD drive will no longer open and play DVDs.

Any ideas? Do I need to (or dare,) reinstall motherboard drivers? I downloaded a nifty free program called "Everest Home Edition" that senses and identifies all of the detailed specs about your system, including the motherboard, and displays hyperlinks to associated driver downloads.
I'm reluctant to do this however, because I don't think the odds of it actually solving the graphics board problem are worth the risk that messing with the motherboard will completely hose up my system irretrievably.

Again, I rebooted to safe mode, deleted the Nvidia driver with the "Add/Remove Programs" function in Windows Control Panel, then ran Driver Cleaner Pro to wipe out any remaining traces of it; rebooted and reinstalled the latest Nvidia driver which I'd previously downloaded to desktop directly from the Nvidia website, and still nothing changes. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks,

<***>

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Anything look unusual in Device Manager?

There may be stray driver files kicking around from the ATI attempt, too. But the fact that the problem started changing drives suggests that something inside may have gotten moved during that process. I'm sure you have done so, but remove and reseat the NVidia card. Check all your connections.

Then, uninstall the NVidia drivers yet again.

After uninstalling, run Nasty File Remover and/or Driver Cleaner Professional to clean up any remaining frgaments of the ATI or NVidia drivers.

If you choose to reinstall your mainboard chipset drivers, it should be done at this point before the display adapter is installed.

Then, try reinstalling the NVidia driver. Some games may require reinstalling as well since they detect the video configuration during setup.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
this is starting to sound like a software issue, like windows got messed up, it would be nice to know for sure that the fx5200 isnt messed up

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
UFO said:
I just put in a new hard drive, and finally discovered how to do a simple drive-to-drive clone-transfer (after having bought and struggled for months in vain with a monstrosity called "NTI BackupNOW!")

Anyway, I find that after having done the drive copy - which naturally involved disconnecting, reconnecting and reconfiguring the drives - the Nvidia graphics card I've got in the system (GeForce 5200FX) isn't allowing settings selection at the start of games, or at all really.

For example, I go into the Start menu (this is on Win98SE) and click on "Setup" for Tomb Raider Chronicles (which had been working prior to messing with the HDs,) and when the settings box comes up all the fields are blank white, as are the drop down menus. No options.

Here's what I've tried: Both the Nvidia card driver and Direct X version on the disc that came with the card are obsolete (which is incredible given that I bought the card in March of this year,) so I downloaded and installed both the latest Nvidia driver for that card and the latest Direct X version directly from the Nvidia and Microsoft sites, respectively. Neither has any effect on the problem.

Any ideas as to what's going on with this? Do I need to physically remove and re-seat the graphics card to get it to reload its drivers? Is there some conflict with that native VGA driver (or whatever it's called,) that I dimly recall having to wrestle with when I first installed the card?

Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction.
am i to understand that you did NOT do a fresh install of your OS on the new hdd

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I just used the drive transfer software that was bundled with the new HD (Seagate - the software is by a company called CMS.) I hooked the old drive and new up in master-slave configuration respectively, did the transfer - which was pretty much a one or two-click process - then powered down, removed the old one and hooked up the new drive as a single drive. I didn't want to start from scratch reinstalling the OS because I've added so much in the way of software, updates, etc. that I didn't want to redo. The CMS software did everything - formatting, partitioning, cloning - and the new drive is otherwise working without a hitch. Just no video settings tabs and no DVD function. The CD-ROM function on the drive is still fine so I don't think it's the CD-ROM drive.

Today I did as Elvandil suggested but the situation is the same: removed/reseated the board, repeated the Nvidia uninstall, ran Driver Cleaner Pro again, then reinstalled the latest Nvidia driver for the board. One thing I did differently is to send Driver Cleaner after ATI drivers as well as Nvidia, and it did find remnants of the ATI driver. It didn't alter the outcome however.

At this point I'm wondering whether the Nvidia card itself is buggy - but the Settings tabs were all there and functioning properly before the drive swap. Incidentally, when I swap in the old drive (with the new either disconnected altogether or connected as slave,) the situation is identical with the old drive.
Fascinating, Keptin.

<***>

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
It did occur to me that the NVidia card may have gotten pushed partially out of its slot when you were changing drives. I've had these "partial connections" blow a card before, but it often still works to some degree. If you tried another card, that might tell you something.

Another possibility is the cloning software. In the interests of efficiency, they usually don't copy some files, like the hiberfil.sys or page file, since those will be recreated on reboot of the OS. But sometimes other files are filtered that are needed. You could check the integrity of the Windows files by going to Start > Run, and typing:

cmd <Enter>

At the prompt, run a system file check:

sfc /scannow <Enter>

Also, try disconnecting the CD-ROM to see if that changes anything. I've had bad video cards affect drive function, and vice versa.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts

something happened when you cloned the drives, thats all i can say, if the card was working perfectly fine before and now its not, thats pretty damming evidence, so at this point I would try a different card or do a full install of windows, i know its a hassle but something is screwed up and trying to hunt it down at this point may be futile. It would be nice to see if a different card would work properly.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Try an older NVidia driver. Everyone seems to be having problems with the new one. Totally uninstall the present driver.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Elvandil, will do - though I'd tried that awhile ago with several of the recent drivers released prior to the latest.

I'll give it a shot, and if that doesn't work go to Plan B, which is to spring for an Nvidia 6600 GT. I wanted to ditch Nvidia altogether after all of this, but for some inexplicable and infuriating reason there appears to be only two (2) graphics card manufacturers on Planet Earth, and a side-by-side review I'd read -
http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-8902_16-6213103-1.html
- says that the Nvidia 6600 GT offers much better performance than the comparable price-range ATI.

According to the details on it at Fry's Outpost.com, the 6600 GT is supposed to be compatible with Windows 98SE, and hopefully I won't be flushing $230 more down the toilet. This time I'll keep the receipt too, even if it does appear to be working.

Meanwhile my search for a remanufactured VAIO RA with all the bells and whistles I want continues, but nothing is available right now.

<***>

·
Registered
13,404 Posts

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
UFO said:
Thanks Elvandil, will do - though I'd tried that awhile ago with several of the recent drivers released prior to the latest.

I'll give it a shot, and if that doesn't work go to Plan B, which is to spring for an Nvidia 6600 GT. I wanted to ditch Nvidia altogether after all of this, but for some inexplicable and infuriating reason there appears to be only two (2) graphics card manufacturers on Planet Earth, and a side-by-side review I'd read -
http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-8902_16-6213103-1.html
- says that the Nvidia 6600 GT offers much better performance than the comparable price-range ATI.

According to the details on it at Fry's Outpost.com, the 6600 GT is supposed to be compatible with Windows 98SE, and hopefully I won't be flushing $230 more down the toilet. This time I'll keep the receipt too, even if it does appear to be working.

Meanwhile my search for a remanufactured VAIO RA with all the bells and whistles I want continues, but nothing is available right now.

<***>
where are you seeing a 6600GT for $230?

ahh, maybe the BFG one that is OC'd

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
brite750 said:
where are you seeing a 6600GT for $230?

ahh, maybe the BFG one that is OC'd
Exactly. The link to it:
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4310635?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

What do you know of this card - since it comes overclocked, is it outfitted with appropriate cooling sinks, fans, etc.? Is it something to buy with confidence, or stay away from?

Thanks for the advice on the ATI 9800pro too - so...which should I get? The trouble with that ATI vs. Nvidia article I linked is that it doesn't cover enough different models, and making a decision is a pain. How is it that a measly two manufacturers can have such an infuriatingly-huge number of different models?

Anyhow, now I'm up in the air again as to what card to buy. It would be nice to give my hard-earned bucks to Nvidia's (one) competitor, but what's the best card for the money in the $200 +/- $50 range?

BTW, I just got a new Viewsonic monitor (VP201b) with a native resolution of 1600x1200, and I'd put in a 350W power supply awhile ago, so the card will only be limited by my W98SE OS.

So ATI and Nvidia partisans, here's your chance to duke it out over your faves! Convince me!

<***>

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
UFO said:
Exactly. The link to it:
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4310635?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

What do you know of this card - since it comes overclocked, is it outfitted with appropriate cooling sinks, fans, etc.? Is it something to buy with confidence, or stay away from?

Thanks for the advice on the ATI 9800pro too - so...which should I get? The trouble with that ATI vs. Nvidia article I linked is that it doesn't cover enough different models, and making a decision is a pain. How is it that a measly two manufacturers can have such an infuriatingly-huge number of different models?

Anyhow, now I'm up in the air again as to what card to buy. It would be nice to give my hard-earned bucks to Nvidia's (one) competitor, but what's the best card for the money in the $200 +/- $50 range?

BTW, I just got a new Viewsonic monitor (VP201b) with a native resolution of 1600x1200, and I'd put in a 350W power supply awhile ago, so the card will only be limited by my W98SE OS.

So ATI and Nvidia partisans, here's your chance to duke it out over your faves! Convince me!

<***>
the BFG's are suppose to be very good, they look to be about $50 to $80 bucks more than the plain jane 6600GT's, if your talking a plain 6600GT vs a 9800pro I think the difference is not great at all, in fact i think in some games the 9800pro out performs the 6600GT but the BFG one I'm sure is faster. If it was me I would not want to blow a huge wad of cash on an AGP card, looking down the line a bit at upgrading to a PCI-E mobo with gfx card at that time. Either 6600GT or 9800pro would both be a good choice, the 9800pro with 128 mb of ram is closer to a $100 right now, that is a very good upgrade from the 5200, try toms hardware for some benchmarks maybe they can help you out.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cool! Great link - I'll bookmark the article. Hmm...I can't find a 9800pro for less than $250, at least at Fry's - do you mean 9600?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.