Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a new computer (HP m7690y running XP). I tried installing a Seagate 160GB Ultra ATA/100 internal hard drive that I had previously been using on my old computer(it wasn't set for it's full 160GB capacity on that Windows 98SE system because it wasn't supported, and I'm fine leaving it that way). The drive is PATA, so I went out and bought a converter so that I could connect it to the new computer's SATA motherboard. The converter lights up, but the drive isn't showing up in My Computer.

Seagate talked me through right clicking on My Computer and going to "Manage." The drive isn't showing up in "Disk Managment" or "Device Manager."

I contacted HP to see if they could tell me if all 6 SATA ports on my motherboard were enabled in BIOS. They ran a check on the specs of this product number and claimed they are all enabled. I also questioned whether the ports are of SATA1 or SATA2, and got different answers from two different people....

I'm honestly not real sure what to do with the jumpers. Seagate told me that a jumper on the left pins of my master drive(new computer's drive) isn't necessary with SATA. He had me test a jumper on the left pins of my old drive to compensate for the potential difference in it being SATA1 or SATA2 compatible. I've tried many combinations of jumpers and no jumpers on the left most(center most) pins. I've also tried plugging the SATA cord into different SATA ports in case the one I was using wasn't enabled afterall. I'm at a loss now. Something that seems so simple is not working. I also do not want to have to repartition/reformat the old hard drive because that has everything from my old computer on it. It was supposed to be my means of transferring my files and also adding additional hard drive space to this new computer. Thanks for any help!

·
Trusted Advisor
21,439 Posts
Your ports are SATA2

Haven’t tried to add an ATA to my CTO 7690 .. but there’s Big advantages to adding another SATA.
It’s easy to add a second SATA .. And make it dual boot for backup purposes.

You can remove the internal Cage for the HP Personal Media storage ..
Then you'll find the mounting holes for a second HD.
I don't like the bottom mounting method.

Your HP probably came with a 8MB cache SATA2 ... I've Changed to two of these ..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144701

Instead .. I put my ATAs in these … and use them externally.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817123021

Attachments

·
Trusted Advisor
21,439 Posts
More …
Have you made your HP recovery DVDs yet … If not ... do so NOW.

I suspect your problem is in the ATA > SATA converter.
Maybe that the fact that your mobo supports Raid configurations is also messing you up (or your converter).

If you expect to have a large amount of Data .. such as videos ..
I recommend Partitioning your HD(s) as I have shown above … Then put ALL your data in the Data Partition(s)
Do NOT use "My Documents"
This makes a faster computer … and the C: System partition(s) are much easier/faster to maintain and restore.

For example … This cuts my scan for Virus/Malware and defrag time from several hours .. down to a few minutes.
I can also rewrite (restore) my primary C: system partition in about 10 minutes .. back to the way I had it setup....
and not worry about the Data … It stays in the Data partition(s)
The Windows operating System (the C: partition) is the most fragile thing in your computer.

If you ever have to contact HP and they can't quickly figure out an answer …
They will tell you to restore back to the beginning and call back …
Hoping you'll go away for several days and maybe fix your own problem.

For this reason (and others) I keep the original HD and use it to build up (Clone) new ones .. the way I like.
During the Cloning … The drive(s) can also be partitioned.

If you're going to order from Newegg … I'd also suggest adding one of these to the order …
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...rue+10&Submit=ENE&N=0&Ntk=all&Go.x=17&Go.y=30

I know this adds a few dollars to the cost of your computer .. But it has already paid for itself in Mine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I'm back. Since my converter doesn't appear to be working, I went out and bought an external hard disk encloser and connected the drive externally using USB. I didn't put any jumpers on the drive in the encloser. The drive that came with my computer has a jumper set as master. My computer still doesn't recognize the device. It's been months now, and I really need the documents on that hard drive. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Trusted Advisor
21,439 Posts
Where'd you get the external ??? .. I've had some bad luck with Compusa's

All the ATAs I've messed with come jumpered "Cable Select" ... and I don't change the Jumper.
Try a Cable Select setting.

Does the new USB external show up in Disc management .. jumpered as Cable select ??

It's beginning to sound like somethings wrong with the HD.
BUT ... I'd try it in another computer or external to make sure.

I've had some bad luck with new externals ...
If they're going to die, it'll be off the shelf or a few weeks later.
After a week or so ... all seems well .. and I start trusting them.

There is a way to extract the old information from a newly formated drive as long as you don't write to it.
But let's don't go there yet.
Do you live in North Central Indiana by any chance ??

·
Trusted Advisor
21,439 Posts
Are you running Windows XP ???
If you bought your 7690 after 26 Oct ... and it's loaded with XP ...
You can get a Free upgrade to Vista.

BUT .. I sure wouldn't install Vista for about another year ..
Unless it was on a second Bootable HD ... for something to play with and get mad at.

·
Trusted Advisor
21,439 Posts
Glad to hear that... But I thought you already tried the Master jumper ???
Looks like you missed getting a free Vista ... IMO ... That's like not getting a cold.
You ready to mark this one solved ??

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried all possible combinations of jumpers with the converter a couple months ago. Nothing seemed to work there. Oh well.

With both hard drives set as masters and the USB enclosure, it's now working.

Haha on the Vista analogy.

Yeah, I'm good. This is solved. Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.