Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Paradyne DSL modem connected to a Netgear WGR614 wireless router. This set-up has been working great for over a year.

A couple of weeks ago, my DSL (or so I thought) quit working while I was using it. No big deal, I just let it be, thinking it would be up the next day. Next day, same thing, so I started the normal troubleshooting. Everything looked like it should, so I connected directly to the DSL modem and everything worked fine. I decided my Netgear had bit the dust, even though everything looked good. I tried another router and had the same results, so I purchased a new Netgear because I wasn't sure of the configurations for the second router. Same thing.

In order to connect the modem directly to the computer, I have to enter the IP, Gateway and DNS numbers in my PC, so I know my numbers are still valid. Any ideas as to why my DSL will no longer work through a router? I can access the routers internal configuration from my pc, so I know the connection between those two are good. When I set the Netgear back to factory defaults, it was able to detect what type of connection I have, so I assume the connection between the modem and the Netgear is good. I tried disabling my firewall temporarily. I am at a loss as to what to try next. I know several people who have the exact set-up at their homes and are working fine.

The troubleshooting was performed on my wired Windows XP Home desktop; however, I also tried wireless with my Windows XP Professional laptop.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Sometimes, not always, you can regain connection by powering off everything.

Power off Computer.

Power off Router. (unplug power)

Power off Modem. (unplug power)

Wait 2 min., power up Modem, wait a minute, power up Router, after the lights settle down power up your Computer.

Note: You may have to reset router to factory defaults and repeat the above steps if you still can not connect.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I don't know if this is your problem but sometimes ISPs change settings and don't tell you namely the MTU. I had an ISP change from 1500 to 1492 without telling my client and we didn't find out until we called them. You might want to try playing with the MTU settings or call them and ask if they've made any changes around the time you started having connectivity problems. If that doesn't work I'd take a look at the log on the router if it has one and I'd take a look at the connectivity status when it's supposedly connected. There should be no reason that your computer works but the router doesn't and pretty much all I can think of right now is that the default MTU on the router is incorrect.

Joe

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I have the same router as you, WGR614 v6. I only use it as a switch but you enter the connection details in basic settings. I assume you already know that.

A factory reset mght help. The button is located at the base of the arial, look hard, it's there! Needs a paper clip or something to poke it with. Keep it held in until the green tick LED on the front lights up after about 15 seconds.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just try this it might work

I dont think so you have to manually update the Dns and IP settings, unless you have a static connection, if not then you can unforce them on the computer and highlight the option obtain automatically on your router GUI.

When you have done a factory reset then you may have to enter all the Connection details on your router once again.

Just try once by unforcing the TCp settings on the LAn properties, but before u do this make a note of it and then update the connection details on your router and try once

Merry X mas :)

Cheers

Krishnasarma

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"A factory reset mght help."

Been there, done that. So many times I have a whole closet of t-shirts...lol

"Sometimes, not always, you can regain connection by powering off everything."

See above answer! And then additional answer below.

"I dont think so you have to manually update the Dns and IP settings, unless you have a static connection"

I do have a static IP. (I connect to a VPN at work.) The ISP does not assign the addressing, I have to either manually enter it in the router, or in the PC if direct connected.

"I don't know if this is your problem but sometimes ISPs change settings and don't tell you namely the MTU."

Was about to try your suggestion, but...

For whatever reason, everything works properly now. I turned off everything. Again. This time, I was interrupted by lunch, so it stayed off at least an hour. I came back in, plugged it all in, and viola! It works.

It is all so frustrating. Don't you just love computers?????

Thanks to everyone for your suggestion, though. You guys/gals are awesome.

dkm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.