Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever i start up my computer the first thing it says is "NIC Failure". After a few moment it starts up normally. This isn't a big problem but i was wondering what it means and if there is a way to fix it.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
it gives u a connection so u can be on the internet. without it u will not be connected.how do u connect to the internet? do u have a card that u slide into the computer if its a laptop such as netgear, linksys, etc?or do u connect thru a wireless router or highspeed modem?if its an external card that slides in say if its a laptop if the lights arent lit the card isnt working anymore or u might have to reinstall the drivers for the card. if it needs replaced they arent that expensive to do so. hope this helps u.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
More than likely, it would be your wired NIC that is kaput. Check your Device Manager (right-click My Computer > Manage... > Device Manager), to see if it being recognised at all (look for any device with a red X, or a yellow triangle with a black exclamation mark (!) next to it).

If it is happening before Windows actually loads, then the only cure is to either disable the NIC in the BIOS (you should have an option when you startup your computer "Press <F2> (or some other key/ key combination) to enter Setup. Look for an option like "Onboard LAN Controller"), or to replace the motherboard.

Did you add any new hardware recently, or experience a power surge/outage at your house?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.