Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a new processor required to run 64bit OSes? Or will this processor be able to run 64bit?

ps: is this thread in the appropriate section?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Well, what is "this" processor, that would be a nice piece of information. :D

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
New board, too, if your system is not 64-bit.

(THIS processor! Right here! Jeeze.)

·
Registered
274 Posts
First consider what apps you intend to run and whether or not you already have or will be getting 64bit versions.

If you do not use memory/cpu hungry apps you might want to build/buy a higher spec 32bit platform based around a dual core cpu which allows you to switch smoothly to a 64bit platform at a later date (this is advise if you are on a tight budget).

Bottom line is that your current dell machine does not allow you upgrade to modern standards - let us know if you have a very tight budget (200usd or 200gbp) or if you can spend more.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha, I am not planning to change my PC, just asked that to get some info, and I got it:D

Also, Is it possible to run 32bit applications in a 64bit PC?

·
Registered
274 Posts
After many discussions about Win 7 64bit compatability with other forum members - it is noted that the bulk of XP and Vista 32bit apps run without difficulties under Win 7 64bit - Only much older XP apps have problems which is why there is an XP virtual PC mode under win 7.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.