Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im lookin to upgrade my motherboard. i have a 2.8ghz p4 800fsb anybody got any good suggestions for a good motherboard. if anyone knows of a good cpu/mobo combo deal for a p4 let me know. ill use the 2.8 if its better and use the other cpu to build my sister a computer. thanks for any suggestions

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey i have a frys right up the road from my house!!

what are some things i should look for in a good motherboard. obviously i would need to look for a 800fsb but anything new out there that would increase performance??

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Try to stay away from the ECS boards they have there. I blew through (literally) two of them. I still have the cpus, thank God, as they are the most expensive parts ;)

The last combo I got there was an MSI board, it is a very nice board and I'm still happy with it. I have a 2.8 chip in it, as that was 'almost' state of the art at the time ;)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it just seems like i have a hard time getting everything to be recognized (hdd's and drives) no matter how i have them set up. i make sure all the jumpers are set properly but it seems like its still a pain. i still havent gotten my sata drive to show up.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im pretty sure i did. but i cant check it because my floppy isnt working so i cant use the sata boot disk. i tried to download the files and do it that way but it still didnt work. i think that there might be something in the bios i havent done...not sure though.

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
I don't have any SATA drives installed, but, yes, I believe there are some changes that need to be made in the bios setup too. Don't you have the motherboard manual? My MSI board is in Mexico, I'm currently in Las Vegas, I have a SOYO board here.

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
So you have Windows Installed on an IDE drive? If Windows is running go to Device Manager and see if there are any errors. Is the SATA drive listed there under the drives? Is Disk Management seeing the drive?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
haha i didnt mean for duplicate threads to run. i wanted this one to be about getting a new mobo and what was a good kind. kinda ended up on the same topic though.

sorry :( ill mark this one solved

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.