Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i press the power button on the front of my computer case the power led′s light for half a second then power down. I′ve opened the side of the computer and what i see when i press the power button is the PSU and the CPU FAN start to spin then stops. Im sure i′ve put in all the power cables neccessary to power up and ive tried unplugging and plugging the power cables back in.... i dont know what to try next.. please help.

Computer Specs

OS: None so far but will be installing Windows Server 2003
MOBO: TYAN S2925 Server
RAM: 2x2GB DDR2 Corsair XMS2
HD: 320GB SATA Seagate
VIDEO: Using the onboard VGA
PSU: Thermaltake 700w Toughpower

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds like a short. Make sure your motherboard is not touching the inside of the case and make sure the screws are in good. What you can try is take the motherboard out of the case and put it on your desk (assuming its not metal desk) and see if it powers on.

·
Super Moderator
46,552 Posts
Have you read and followed the troubleshooting guide at the top of the hardware forum? If you follow the guide, you WILL find the cause of your problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a short. Make sure your motherboard is not touching the inside of the case and make sure the screws are in good. What you can try is take the motherboard out of the case and put it on your desk (assuming its not metal desk) and see if it powers on.
I just tried what u said to do and yeh ive got the same problem. So its probably a motherboard short right...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay so i went through the procedures on the guide above the Hardware forum and to my surprise the fan on the heatsink and the fan to the PSU are constintly running! YAY!!! So according to the situation does this mean that my Case is shorting my motherboard?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay so i connected a monitor to the motherboard and while the heatsink fan and the psu fans are constintly running im not getting any signal to my monitor. the screen on my monitor just stays black.

·
Registered
272 Posts
you still might want to take a look at your casing, try taking it out of the case and seeing if all works well. If so, then your casing is causing your MOBO to short.

Also, make sure all the cables are securely in and same goes to all your hardware (video card etc...)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay so i just performed a extensive test to see what the hell was going on. And in conclusion it was the RAM. Apparently the ram wasnt supported by the mobo so it wouldnt post for some reason. So i switched it out with the ram thats on my workstation and wallah it worked. But then i ran into another problem, when i put everything back into the case the same thing happened so im positive now that the case is causing a short so im gonna go to newegg and buy me a new case. :D Thanks for all the help!!! really appreciate it!

·
Super Moderator
46,552 Posts
At least you found what was causing your problem

Is the case you are attempting to use by chance an old dell, compaq, hp, etc?

In part of the guide, it gives instructions on how to fit a new board to the case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.