Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,
Your input is requested.
My new build can't seem to detect the Vista Premium CD. I tried tweaks in the bios, but finally out of frustration went back and put in an XP disk. Lo and behold, it wants to install. What to do? I really want to try Vista.

The build:
Asus P5B-e
Xfinity 600W PSU
Corsair 6400 XMS 2gb (oddly, it reports as 5300 instead of 6400?)
Asus 8800GT
HP 9100 CdR (on IDE)
Raptor 150

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
As for the reason the memory is only running at PC5300 specs is due to the processor FSB and the board running a 1:1 ratio which is considered by many to be the ideal setup. You may be able to set the memory speed in the BIOS for 800Mhz.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you to both of you. I will likely leave the memory as is, I'll just be happy to get this to run at all I'm thinking at the moment. And Elvandil you are correct, I need to change to DVD drive. Forgot about that!
Mini

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, so now I can get to the point where my cd drive and dvd drive are showing up on boot. It names them, and says press any key to continue. If left alone, it continues anyway, and leaves me with a blank screen and flashing cursor. Why does the cdr or dvd drive not detect the OS and begin the install?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And now we have Vista trying to load. Seems to be stuck on a nicely coloured blue and yellow screen with a mouse pointer on it. Mouse pointer moves though. No light on at the dvd drive.....think I'll wait a bit and see if it comes back to life.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Victory is Mine!!!!!!!!!! No serioulsy, it seems to be installing at the moment. Pretty darn exciting for a nooby like me. XP was way easier the first time I built a PC but this might turn out OK after all.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, good to go - or at least the install is going well so far. Thanks go out again to both Triple6 and Elvandil. Hey Triple6 - will my computer not run slower with 5300 as ram instead of 6400?
Mini

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
Maybe a little, but I assume you have a 1333 Mhz FSB processor, which is 333Mhz x 4 and so the memory is 333Mhz x 2 for 667Mhz. You can change it to 400/800Mhz and it may give you a slight memory performance increase.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I don't think I'll tweak for that. Thanks Triple6. My kid likes this new build. He's playing Company of Heroes on it now. I'll probably get to use it in about a week!
Mini

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Good job.

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the Thread Tools above.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.