Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how I can network (for file and print sharing) my 98 machine with other XP machines?

My printer used to hang off my 98 box, and it shared it to the XP machines.
I've now changed to having the printer hanging off an XP box, but I can't get the old 98 box to see the printer or the files on teh XP box?

Establishing a network on XP is real easy - how can I do the same thing on 98??

Any ideas?

GXW

· Registered
1,512 Posts
Try this gxw_tech, by going here

· Registered
22,834 Posts
The basics for troubleshooting are:

1. Make sure you have the same IP scheme (e.g. 192.168.0.x).

2. Make sure you have the same Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS IP addresses.

3. Make sure you can ping the other computer's IP address. If this fails, just for testing, make sure you turn off XP's as well as any other firewall.

4. Make sure you can ping the other computers by name.

5. Make sure you have the same workgroup name (watch for trailing spaces)

6. For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and completely uninstall any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

7. With XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers. The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

8. More details about how to network XP can be found at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

9. More details about how to troubleshoot TCP/IP networks can be found at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/trouble.htm

10. Apply the registry edit to fix the browsing delay from XP to Win9x computers
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#browsing_delay.

There continues to be a lot of misinformation about needing NetBEUI or to changing the NetBIOS setting. You can ignore both. Installing NetBEUI to solve a networking problem will just mask a some underlying and potentially important misconfiguration with TCP/IP. The default NetBIOS setting works fine so there is no need to change that either.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very useful links Bob, thanks!

I fell at the first hurdle I'm afraid - I cannot ping the router. I can ping localhost but not the router so I do susoect the IP config on the 98 machine.
How do I set up the IP details on the 98 machine?

GXW

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been through that thanks, and all seems set up oK now, I just still can't get through to the internet.

If ping is getting through to my router, that means TCP/IP is set up, but what should I be checking from IE?

My laptop uses the same router and gets out fine to the internet!

GXW

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just made a major breakthrough. Had been concentrating on the internet connection for ages so had another go at Mapping the network drive - and it works!!! I am currently copying all my data onto the new box in case I don't get this working again!!

Then, I'll have a look at the IE problem.

SO, the IP config must be all OK to share the network drive - but I don't know what single event or sequence of events actually got the desired result.

Thanks for all the advice in this thread.

GXW

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have looked through all the good stuff on Bob's pages, but still can't figure out what I need to do to get internet access working again in the 98 machine.

I've found notes on how tto establish TCP/IP networking on 98 - but I think I've achieved that - since file sharing is working now!

I found details about dial-up networking in 98, but I'm not dialing up! I have a broadband router - which is a LAN right?

Are there any other pages that could help Bob? Or has anyone else any experience of getting Internet access through a wireless LAN connection?

Crazy thing is I am doing it fine on another laptop with the same router, and used to do it fine on the same 98 desktop with the same router, just wired instead of wireless!!!

I'm really in a funk now about this.

Any help appreciated.

GXW

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the default gateway set - thats the IP address of my router.

DNS I'm not so sure about - I wasn't aware I was using DNS but I checked on the router and it said "Automatic from ISP".

Pinging by names does not seem to work, but then I never tried before.

If DNS is the key, why did it work before when the connection was wired, and what exactly do I have to do to set up DNS?

GXW

· Registered
22,834 Posts
You have to be using DNS if you want to ping or access web sites by name.

Since you stated you can't ping by name, can you ping external sites by IP address? If this doesn't work, then neither will trying to ping by name.

If you can ping by IP but not name, then try manually entering in the DNS servers that your router is using.

Since one computer is working, you might check the IP information it is using.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, using ipconfig /all on my laptop shows DNS Server = "10.0.0.2".
I can set this on the Win 98 desktop TCP/IP Properties under the DNS tab, but it also asks for Host and Domain? Host I've added as the same name as in "Identification", but what should the Domain be set to?

Sorry to keep on at this but I feel I am very close now to getting this to work and ending weeks of trying.

GXW

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I can ping by number but not name, at least as far as my router is concerned.

I just tried the DNS setup as suggested and left the Domain name blank, and now after a couple of reboots even, IE and Firefox both abend when I open the browser.

I've verfied this by disabling DNS and the browser opens OK, i.e. does not abend, but still doesn't find any pages.

Definitely seems to be DNS related but don't know what or how to fix now :-(

The ipconfig on the laptop (which connects fine) shows my wireless LAN workgroup name as against "Connection-specific DNS Suffix".

Don't know if this is relevant but clutching at straws now.

GXW

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And just got this when I tried removing the device for my old Ethernet card (just an idea!) ...

OPening page res://C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCLC.DLL/dnserror.htm

Got this when opening the browser. Didn't abend this time, but did hang and needed a reboot.

GXW

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry Bob, I can't say as I have never done that. I don't know any external IP addresses. From a command prompt I can ping my router and my other computers by IP, but not by name.
From the browser, I have only ever used URLs, and don't know any IP addresses. When I have DNS enabled in the TCP/IP Properties tab, any attempt to open a browser will cause an abend. Without DNS enabled, I get "Page Not found" every time.
Do you have any IP addresses I might try? Or does any of the above help at all?
Regards,
GXW

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.