Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm trying to update my network security from WEP to WPA on my Netgear router.
After changing the key on the router and on my network security, I can now only log onto the router and cannot connect to the internet. I've tried changing the Vista network key to which it relates but it still won't connect. :confused:
I know the connection is fine because it was working before I changed the settings.

Can anyone suggest solutions?

I'm running Vista with McAfee Total Security '08 and a Netgear DG834.

Cheers.:D

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Well, first step is to remove all the stored wireless profiles on the Vista machine after updating the router's encryption, then search for networks and connect like it's a new network.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I did that, but I'm not sure that its completely removing the account when I'm doing it through the connections and network centre. Is there some way of deleting accounts using a blanket method...a bit like emptying the recycle bin?

I'm sure it's Vista preventing the connection.

Also, in your opinion, do you think it would be to use McAfee's network protector than manually keying it in myself?

Thanks.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Well, I'd uninstall McAfee totally to see if it's stepping on you, then reinstall after you get this working. I never stick such products between me and stuff like network configurations, just one more place for software authors to screw things up! :)

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I use ESET NOD32 and AVG Free on various computers here. For a free alternative, AVG Free is a good one that's worked well for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I've heard good things about AVG, but was always put off by the fact its free!!
Is it up to the job as I don't mind paying for something if it's gonna stop my system getting cracked?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
It's worked for years for me on several computers here. Two of the laptops and several desktops run it currently, including my main machine here. I'd working just fine for me. I also run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware about once a week to see if anyone has slipped in the back door, it's also free.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You can mark your own threads solved using the
button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.©
:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.