Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Canon powershot A70 and I really like it. I sent it to Canon to be cleaned, the shutter was not shutting all the time and I was missing a screw. I got an estimate back today and they offered me a factory refurbished powershot A520 for the same price. What do you all suggest? Get mine back or get the refurb?

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
lschul said:
I have a Canon powershot A70 and I really like it. I sent it to Canon to be cleaned, the shutter was not shutting all the time and I was missing a screw. I got an estimate back today and they offered me a factory refurbished powershot A520 for the same price. What do you all suggest? Get mine back or get the refurb?
My sister has one. I don't think she'd give it up for the finest of SLR's...

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will ask them. I figure once I get mine back, it will basically be a refurb too. THANKS

·
Registered
12,131 Posts
With all due respect it's a no-brainer. The A70 is a 3.2mp and the A520 is 4mp. Both cameras have the same look, feel and features for the most part so you would be better off with the 520 even thought it's a tad smaller and lighter. One thing you might want to consider but worth the expense is you will have to buy a new memory card as the A520 takes an SD and the A70 takes a CF. Another thing... the A520 has a 1.8" LCD screen and the A70 is smaller at 1.5". And finally.... the A70 has a 3x optical zoom and the A520 has 4x. That in itself is worth the upgrade.

Here's the review of the A520......................
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/a520.html

And the review for the A70................
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a70.html

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, I went with the upgrade. It comes with a warranty too. They said the camera has all new parts except for the case I guess. I found a 2GB SD card at Compusa for $40 on sale, it had an instant savings of $60. Looking forward to the new camera.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.