Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I start a server on a first person shooter PC game, but nobody can join. I can jon theirs fine, though.
I have a theory, but IDK if its right.
When I go to network connections, it claims my IP is 192:168:0:2
However, when I go to a site that tells me my IP, it says my IP is 71.lol.lol.lol
I theorized this is why I cannot create an online game in Halo; because I start my server with the 192:168:0:2 IP address, but people cant connect to me directly without going through xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
How can I make it so that people can join my online servers?

:confused:

any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

·
Registered
86 Posts
The 192.168.0.2 IP address is a Private LAN set up. No one outside of your personal network will be able to connect to this, as it's a universal private network that most basic users have set up. What you need to do is find out what port the program is running on, and in your router foward that port to your LAN IP address. Then once thats done, who ever your trying to connect with, have them go to your WAN IP. Which can be found by going to www.ipcow.com.

Also, bit of advise. Edit your post, and remove your WAN IP. Outside of the moderators of this forum no one really has a reason for knowing it. You don't want to make your self vulnerable.

·
Registered
86 Posts
As Couriant said; if we can find out the make and model of the router should be no trouble finding you a guide or walking you through it. Generally on the bottom of the router there will be some form of sticker, or marking for your ISP.

As well, what game are you trying to create a server for? This will assist in finding out which port we will be forwarding.

Edit: You forgot your WAN IP.. :) You got the first one, but missed the second one. It's a more of a err on the side of caution thing. Almost like looking at a Where's Waldo™ book, and holding a big sign saying "HERE I AM!"

·
Registered
86 Posts
I wouldn't say "allow" them. First we want to make sure we're all on the same track, and know what we're "Allowing". The issue described is not a "Firewall" issue, not yet. We will decide that after we do the port forwarding. Once I know what Game, and Router Make / Model, should be fairly easy to go from there.

·
Registered
171 Posts
True.....I was going by previous experience with some MP games. Had players come in asking about ports when it was a firewall issue instead. The firewall was not recongnizing the game's MP server.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im playing Halo: Combat Evolved: Custom Edition, it uses ports 2302 and 2303, that much I know.
Im not even sure I have a router, though. I have a Qwest DSL Actiontec Modem, Model # GT701. Is this modem a router?

Also, I may have found something out, am I doing the right thing in this picture? (the attachment)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
43,959 Posts
looks like that modem is also a router from what I can tell.

go here and follow the instructions. Where it says do not skip this part, its asking you to put your LAN IP address, which is 192.168.0.2.

Try that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.