Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using a linksys 5 port workgroup switch in my room. I have the ethernet cable coming from the router into the uplink port and my PS3, xbox, dvr, and pc in the other ports. It has been working fine until today I started messing around the the cables. I had trouble with the ps3 connecting to the internet so I used my laptop with wifi disabled to test out a few of the cables and ports. Now all of a sudden the switch kills the internet connection. If I remove the cable running to my room from the main router, the other PCs and wireless will connect, but as soon I plug myself up it goes dead. I now have the ethernet cable in my room hooked directly to the PC bypassing the switch and everything works fine now.

Has the switch gone bad? Any ideas?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I just figured it out. I had no idea port 5 and the uplink port were shared. That was messing everything up.
Seems like a pretty stupid design though...why not just make the ports separate.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
I don't know the design reason for that, but it's very common (maybe universal) for older switches. Newer ones have auto-sensing ports so no need for a special "uplink." Glad you got it sorted, and thanks for posting the solution. :)

You can mark this solved using the
button at the upper left of the page.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.