Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tech support... I have a problem... when ever i boot up my computer the floppy drive fails this boot up test that tests for the ide cable ( i think) specifically its says:

floppy drive failed (40)

now i think this has to do with the 40 wire and 80 ide connectors and when i turn off the test for this in the cmos setup the computer boots up skipping the test. But my floppy drive doesn't work. The drive's light is on continously if that means something and i tried switching the ide cable to no avail. Some other info that might help you in helping this poor sap: the computer i purchased was barebones with a board and a chassis. All other components I installed myself. I installed windows98 fine but the floppy drive didn't respond even then. This forced me to boot off the cdrom.

Much appreciate what you guys are doing here.

dan

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
The drive's light is on continously if that means something
The only time I have seen this is when the cable is on backwards.. Might be a bad cable or drive..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i've tried the floppy drive that came with the basic system and also another drive from my other computer and they both didn't work so i know its not the drive. i also use the cable from the other computer as well and that didn't pan out as well.. What could it be...? please help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.