Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I got a new Lenovo 3000 C200 laptop a little over a week ago. It has a Mat****a DVD RAM UJ-850. It played a DVD and music CD fine, and could install software from CDs. But it can't work with a mini CD at all. The drive's light flashes and it makes noise as it tries to recognize the thing, but never does. No error messages are generated, it just continues flashing and spinning.

The two mini CDs I tried -- admittedly both home-made ones from an e-Bay seller (for installing cell phone data cables) -- work fine even in much older systems. And from everything I could tell by researching, mini CDs should work in any regular CD drive, as long as they aren't the slot (push-in) type and the tray has either a snap-in spindle or indented "well" for the smaller CDs. I don't have any other mini CDs handy at this time to check it out further, but I assume it's fair to conclude that the drive is bad, since the ones I did try work fine in other much older, more basic computers.

But before I researched mini CD compatibility, Lenovo tech support told me it's not unlikely that mini CDs are just not supported by this DVD RAM. Now I think that's B.S., if almost any regular CD or DVD drive can work with them. Am I right? If so, might a firmware update help -- although there aren't any that I know of and that wouldn't make sense to me since mini CDs are not new technology at all??

Thanks!! :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi etaf! Yes, there is a spindle, and the mini CD fits on it like a glove and the tray inserts no problem, just like it was a regular CD. But from the research I did, it seemed like that would be moot these days -- that any CD or DVD drive that doesn't play mini CDs would have to be either the slot type or pretty old... Thanks!

P.S., I see Mat****a is also called Matsu****a and is apparently actually Panasonic. Am looking at their downloads page now but I don't expect that to be relevant. From what I gather it seems like maybe it doesn't even take different tech capabilities for a player to be able to play mini CDs, just the right physical "accommodations" for it (tray and spindle or "well"). And, it is a brand new lappy.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...also, don't know if it's relevant, but the Event Viewer shows several errors at one point, generated by source cdrom. The first says the device has a bad block, then several more say the driver detected a controller error. (Never looked in Event Viewer before so don't know if its messages are often not as serious as they might sound.) Not sure if that was when I was trying the mini CD, and doing it again generated no new messages in Event Viewer, even though the drive's behavior was the same.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...plot thickens??? Maybe I'm wrong after all -- hope someone stops by who can better see the bottom line than I can! Just stumbled across a link, page dated Jan. 2007, that says

Matsu****a DVD-RAM UJ-850 (v1.01)

An update for the Matsu****a DVD-RAM UJ-850 optimizes the write process when burning DVD+R DL discs at 4X speed and adds support for various 8cm DVD+R DL media.

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/ed...=articles/archive/c0701/24c01/24c01.asp&guid=

...that sounds like it *could* relate to exactly what I'm talking about, even though I'm referring to 8 cm CD, doesn't it? But the link given on the above page only goes to panasonic main page, and I didn't find my model there... Am also checking the related panasonic industrial page but so far only see very close model numbers but not mine exactly... (Some links aren't working though).

Wow I thought this was going to be a super easy question/thread. Hope to get some guidance! :) Talking to myself isn't getting me far lol.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Well, I think the reason you're not getting a lot of help is it's a pretty specific issue with one piece of equipment. Without access to the unit to touch & feel, it's pretty hard to do real diagnosis.

Actually, you seem to be making progress, keep talking to yourself, you'll have it solved in another couple weeks. :D

Have you tried searching for a firmware update for that drive?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
(Ok some of the panasonic links weren't working because I was using Firefox.) Just found the link below which says that support and drivers for this exact model can only be provided by the computer manufacturer (link below). So I don't know what the guy at the computerpoweruser link above is talking about, saying that an update for this model is available on the web. Or how he even heard about it. Guess I'll have to contact Lenovo again and hope the guy was right, and that someone there will have more current info this time.

In the meantime... If I'm getting all excited about nothing and someone stops by here who happens to know that my original conclusion was correct (that any current tray-style CD/DVD drive should be able to play minis), please let me know!

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/computer/storage/optical/support.html

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi John Will! Didn't see your post before I posted.

But I wouldn't think that being able to see the drive would matter really? You can take my word for it when I say, it is a tray and spindle type, looks like any other current tray & spindle CD/DVD drive, and the mini snaps into it just like it's going home... What else is there to know about apparent physical compatibility between them? I'm thinking it's a universal, yes/no matter... Like asking if an .mp3 will play in Windows Media Player. "Yes."

Maybe 8 cm DVD does require something different like the guy at the link indicates... but
again, from everything I read including specs and compatibility info for blank CD media available for purchase, there *is* no special technology or feature required for any regular CD or DVD drive to work with mini CD. Just has to have the tray and spindle (or a smaller well in the tray) for a mini. Which mine does. As mentioned, the mini CDs worked fine in the CD drives of two other old (approx. 7 or 8 years) and very basic computers, one a laptop and one a desktop. And minis aren't on the way out or anything, even if they're not nearly as common to encounter.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I've never seen any drive that won't do 8mm CD's, I have never actually seen an 8mm DVD, so I don't have any experience with those. I agree with your analysis, the guy telling you it's not compatible is probably all wet. :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! And it looks like I'll be having to send the laptop back anyway, since it's having apparent memory or hard disk problems right out of the box. So, can get it all fixed at once.... Or hopefully, just a completely different unit. This one is showing itself to be a lemon all around!

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
That's a bummer. I checked with a couple of other people, and they also agreed that any 8cm disk should work in that drive, or any modern drive.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
I have a Matsu****a DVD Ram UJ 841S inj my toshiba laptop. It reads and writes to 8CM discs just fine. Aftr reading though this thread I had to try it out myself. I thought maybe it was because it was a DVD RAM drive, but nope. works fine.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
My drive is also a DVD-RAM drive, though it's on a desktop. I've used CD-R and CD-RW 8cm media in it, no problems.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again! I just saw some 'cdrom' errors in Event Viewer too, saying a block was bad. Lenovo tech support still comes from IBM in Atlanta. I guess tech support peop have to learn as they go along too, to some extent. But the guy didn't even check any source before answering. I could have just been receiving the brush off of course.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Many tech support organizations are like that. Why do you think TSG is so popular? :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.