Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I am helping a friend with a computer we built for him last fall. He has been running 4G of ram, but wants to upgrade to 8G on a M3N-HT motherboard running Windows 7 x64. We have 4 - Kingston PC-2 5300 DDR2 @ 667Mhz cards, (rediculous, I know, but it's his system), and we have the voltage set to 2.1v. All other advanced options are set to auto.

We can use any of 4 cards, 2 at a time, and the computer will boot and run normally. As soon as we add a third or fourth card, Windows will no longer boot properly. It either begins to load, then hangs with corrupt graphics, or we get a Page fault BSOD, or spontanious reboot. We are, however, able to access BIOS and see that it is being properly identified there. Again, no problems, graphics or otherwise, running cards in the 1st and 3rd sockets, or 1st and 2nd sockets, as long as it's 4G or less.

This also happens with the exact same paterns under Vista Ultimate x64.

I've read all over and found nothing helpfull. I'm pretty sure it's an easy one to someone, though.

·
Registered
440 Posts
in the bios set the ram speed to 400mhz that MOBO only supports 800MHz per channel, I know I own one.

·
Registered
440 Posts
actually I don't think that's the problem now that I think about it I got 4 X 1GB running @ 800Mhz.

I bet your mich matching ram, some times if ram that doesn't run at the same latency will mess you up.

Are you mixing two brands or speeds?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I havn't actually seen the cards. I'm just trying to help him find an answer.

I had considered the latentcy issue. I figured because he bought the cards a year apart, even though they were the same brand and general spec, they may have improved the latentcy, as way of course, by now.

However, he says mixing old with new doesn't cause any problems, until he adds more than 4G.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the system at my place now and have verified all 4 cards are KVR667D2/2G. Not sure what that says about the latentcy though.

·
Registered
440 Posts
well then I would do like I said above and reduce the speed to its minimum

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
k.. I'm not sure if my bud really knew what he was doing when he attempted this upgrade. I now have the box and am going to try it myself. I will keep the speed settings in mind and let you know what happens.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, darkwade was right. I lowered the memory channel speed to 400 and it booted right up. I also intentionally mixed the cards up so that the new ones were mixed with the old ones and so far no problems.

Thanks darkwade. Marking it solved.

·
Registered
440 Posts
cool

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.